Calgary 1L Recruit

Futurelawyer123

Futurelawyer123

Hi everyone, 

What would be a competitive 1L gpa to secure a placement in the 1L recruit in Calgary? I will be applying from an Ontario law school. Do they mainly hire from students who attend schools in Alberta?

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

This is likely the wrong subforum for this, you may have more luck in the Jobs section.

I think any advice that applies to 2L recruit in Toronto applies to 1L recruit in Calgary. The 1L Recruit here is much larger than Toronto's so don't self-select out based on anything you might have read about how hard it is to get a 1L job on Bay.

B+ is competitive, but given the nature of hiring some B students will make it and some A-range students will not land. I don't think there's a bias towards Alberta students, it's more of a # of applicants thing. But given your circumstances I'd endeavour to show an Alberta connection.

• Like 2

Eatable Bran
  • Law Student

Showing your connection to Calgary in your cover letters will be absolutely crucial if you want to land interviews. And be prepared to detail why you went to  school in Ontario in any interviews. This is coming from and Ontario student who did the Calgary 1L recruit.

• Like 1