Questions about re-applying

berrycardinal42

berrycardinal42
  • Applicant

So I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple schools but I've been rejected everywhere even where my stats are above the median. 

I'm feeling really discouraged and wondering what I should do- starting to think about re-applying for the next cycle but my question is- how awkward is it to ask for LORs again because you didn't get in? Like that's my biggest thing that's stopping me from getting ready to re-apply. 

Also, anyone who has been rejected their first time around and then accepted the next, what did you do in particular that you feel made a difference?

BTW my stats are OLSAS cGPA 3.74 and LSAT 158

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

It is not uncommon for people to reapply. Your references likely care about your success and will be willing to serve as a reference for you again when you reapply. Professors are not going to be phased by needing to write another letter for a student reapplying to a professional/graduate program -- they've probably done it before. Same with non-academic references. I would not let any potential awkwardness hold you back from asking your references to write LORs for you when you reapply. 

Your number one concern should be rewriting the LSAT. Breaking into the 160s would make you much more competitive at many schools. 

Pastrey
  • Law Student

When I received my rejection last year I reached out to my references and let them know I appreciated their reference, that unfortunately I had not been accepted and was contemplating re-applying this cycle and if so, I would appreciate their support again. They had no problem with that. I am a mature student, so my references were professional, not sure if that makes a difference. 

I re-wrote the LSAT, took a summer university class (I had no university experience the first cycle I applied), and was accepted this cycle. 

This will not help you, but for any other mature students out there - I learned after my initial rejection that I had not completed my sketch in OLSAS properly. I did not include anything from my resume because I thought that would be duplicative. Schools want your work experience added to the sketch with verifiers listed.

I hope you hear some positive news yet!