Small/Mid-size Firm to Boutique/Big-law

RIP-Joel

RIP-Joel
  • Law Student

Hey guys, I was recently accepted into the windsor single JD program. Ever since then I have been thinking about the very real possibility that I do really bad in law school which would put me out of OCI contention. As a result, I was just wondering if I can get some help from those in the industry in answering the question: is biglaw or working at boutiques strictly a "you have to get in once you graduate or else you're never getting in" type of thing? Is it possible for someone to move from small and mid-size firms to biglaw firms? Or maybe not even biglaw firms like Tory's, just boutique firms like Robins Appleby or firms that dont take part in OCI's like Mills and Mills? Is it possible for someone to strike-out of the 2L recruit/articling recruit and work their way to these firms/boutiques once they enter the industry? 

Thank you and sorry for the long questions 🙂

Damages
  • Lawyer

It is absolutely possible to move from a small or mid-sized firm to a biglaw firm. You just have to have relevant experience, which you should be able to get from a small or mid-sized firm.

Edited by Damages
Typo fixed

RIP-Joel
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, Damages said:

It is absolutely possible to move from a small or mid-sized firm to a biglaw firm. You just have to have relevant experience, which you should be able to get from a small or mid-sized firm.

Oh wow that is great and calming to hear. Is it common? And how much experience is needed to break in? Is it 5 years post bar? 10? 

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, MA1199 said:

Oh wow that is great and calming to hear. Is it common? And how much experience is needed to break in? Is it 5 years post bar? 10? 

Depending on the job market and what you do, it can be far sooner than 5 years. The real question is why do you think you would you want to leave a small or mid size firm for the big one. 

RIP-Joel
  • Law Student
20 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Depending on the job market and what you do, it can be far sooner than 5 years. The real question is why do you think you would you want to leave a small or mid size firm for the big one. 

uhhhh money? 

edit: Isn't that the absolute main reason that people might move from small to biglaw? 

Edited by MA1199
Added some stuff

Dream Machine
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, MA1199 said:

uhhhh money? 

edit: Isn't that the absolute main reason that people might move from small to biglaw? 

Masochism?

Edited by Dream Machine

Kimura
  • Lawyer
38 minutes ago, MA1199 said:

uhhhh money? 

Money is definitely an important factor - but I'd also say the training, exposure and access to resources you get at a big firm can be superior to what you may get at a small firm. 

Edited by Kimura
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
rockso07
  • Applicant

What is the pay difference between mid-size firms and big-law firms, particularly for new associates? I am going into 1l and am interested in doing corporate law. Just curious as I am starting to think about how much debt I'm going to have after graduating and am interested in knowing what to reasonably expect in terms of salary. 

AllWellAndGood
  • Lawyer

20-50% more depending on a whole host of factors. Although you have to balance that extra pay against the opportunity cost (extra hours) and medical cost (antidepressants).

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
37 minutes ago, AllWellAndGood said:

Although you have to balance that extra pay against the opportunity cost (extra hours) and medical cost (antidepressants).

Most of my friends in big law are happier than my friends practicing big-law adjacent fields at mid-size and boutique firms.

And those that aren’t are able to jump ship easily to a smaller firm or in-house, whereas my friends in smaller firms often feel stuck because their exit options are not appreciably better than their current situation. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 1