B+ 1L average, finding success in Toronto 2L recruit

mostworldliness123

mostworldliness123
  • Law Student

How can I put myself in the best position to succeed in the Toronto 2L recruit with a low B+ average? How many OCIs can I expect to receive, and how do I make the most of them? My understanding is that students from Ottawa who generally find success are dean's list and above.

• Like 1

Taiko
  • Law Student

Whether you are Dean's List or not, there's probably a number of things you could be working on to prepare for the Toronto 2L recruit.

1) work with the career centre to polish your resume

2) ideally get some law related experience over the summer

3) make a list of potential interview questions (from upper years, from the career centre, online, firm websites, etc) and draft answers

4) plan your 2L courses to support the narrative you will be conveying in your interviews

5) attend firm hosted open house events and other webinars / workshops

• Thanks 1

easttowest
  • Lawyer

Depending on the rest of your profile, probably something more than zero and less than 12. I had a bad undergrad and high B+ and got five. A friend had a high undergrad and low B+ and got nine. However, we had very little overlap in our applications, and neither of us applied to any internationals. If you apply extremely broadly you could have more luck than us, though we both got offers in the end. 

I don’t know how clued in the career centre is. I don’t think anyone there has ever worked in Toronto or successfully completed the recruit themselves. If you get advice from them that seems strange, I’d ask around before following it. 

You do not have to take all the courses you say you’re going to. I think if I pulled up my “anticipated upper year classes” list, it would be way off. I definitely took some of them, but nobody is holding you to that list. I’m not saying that you should lie, just that nobody cares or is going to hold you to an exercise you did for a recruit after one year of law school. It is, however, not a bad idea to put a little thought into that list. I really don’t know if anyone looks at it though. 

If you can’t make it to an open house, no worries. I went to one and nobody remembered me when I came back for in-firms and I didn’t get an offer there. I got an offer from another firm I’d never even spoken to anyone about, not even any lawyer at the firm. 

If you want, reach out to student co-ordinators at the firms. They’ll put you in touch with one of the summer students to talk about their summer. Then you’ll have something to talk about in your cover letter, at least. Again though,  another thing that I don’t think matters, but it did help with the cover letter writing. 

• Thanks 1