Part-time job manager as reference?

Hanzawa

Hanzawa
  • Law School Admit

Hi all! Hope you guys are having a great summer!

I am a fourth-year internatinal student planning to apply to law schools in Ontario this August. The question I have is that whether I should have my part-time job manager as one of my references in law school applications. I did this part-time job in my third year as a student assitant at a university library and the reason why I am considering this is because that the library manager knows me much better compared to my current internship manager and other professors who taught my third-year courses. (I already have a third-year professor who is willing to write a reference letter for me by now)

Other background information:

My cGPA is 3.9 and I will have my first LSAT in August (a bit late). I am aiming for a 170, but according to the results of the PTs, I will probably score between 165 and 170. The schools that I am going to apply to are UofT, Osgoode at York, Queen's, and OttawaU. Since UofT does not require recommendation letters and the Queen's law school needs one letter, this question above only concerns my applications to Osgoode at York and OttawaU. Will having a part-time job manager as my reference impact my application in a negative way?

Thank you guys!

Renerik
  • Law Student

OLSAS schools prefer academic references so I'd try and secure 2-3 of those. In the event where you can't secure more than 1 academic reference you should add a work/volunteer reference that knows you well. So in your case, only submit a reference from your part-time job manager if you've exhausted academic references.

• Like 1