Important course registration concern- please help

sabs27

Hi everyone, 

I have provisionally accepted at U Ottawa for the common law program. I received an email today that notified me that in order to register for courses right when enrolment opens (June 21st), I must firmly accept my offer by tomorrow (June 15th). However, I am on a few waitlists at other schools and would ideally prefer to wait until July 2nd to firmly accept. To those who have attended/ currently attend U Ottawa, does not signing up for courses right when enrolment opens put me at a severe disadvantage? I don’t have any experience in this but I want to avoid not being able to sign up for important courses or fulfill program requirements. If I sign up after July 2nd or after June 21st, should I be okay?

Also, how do first year courses work? Are there electives and a wide variety of courses available? I appreciate the help in advance! 

• Like 1

scooter
  • Law Student

You just won't get your choice of small group/block (in past years some of them have filled up in a few minutes). The way courses work is you pick which course you want as your small group, and you are auto-enrolled in the rest of your courses as a "block". There is one elective in the second semester but you don't choose it until later this year in the fall some time.

0vie
  • Law Student
On 6/14/2022 at 5:42 PM, scooter said:

You just won't get your choice of small group/block (in past years some of them have filled up in a few minutes). The way courses work is you pick which course you want as your small group, and you are auto-enrolled in the rest of your courses as a "block". There is one elective in the second semester but you don't choose it until later this year in the fall some time.

Just to clarify, by elective, you mean the thematic course? 

easttowest
  • Lawyer
48 minutes ago, 0vie said:

Just to clarify, by elective, you mean the thematic course? 

Yes.

• Thanks 1