USask 3L AMA

cokezero

cokezero
  • Law Student

Hi future Usask-ians and legal scholars,

no idea if this will be of use or not, but as an incoming 1L (in the Zoom school of law era, no less) I had absolutely 0 idea of what law school would entail, and no idea who to ask my questions to. But alas, now I’m an old, haggard 3L, filled with wisdom (debatable lol) to impart on my fellow students.

I see that there is a current, very informative AMA by a USask grad, but if anyone would like the perspective of a current student, I’m happy to answer any questions you may have regarding USask, the college, summer jobs, classes, the articling recruit, profs, and whatever else.

Edited by cokezero
  • Like 1

kdiddy
  • Law School Admit

Hi @cokezero

As a soon to be 1L at USask, I've been hearing a lot about outlines and the importance of securing these from upper year classmates. Is this a hard thing to do? Are they fairly easy to come by? Not entirely sure why, but this has been something on my mind that I've been really curious about.  

cokezero
  • Law Student
20 hours ago, kdiddy said:

Hi @cokezero

As a soon to be 1L at USask, I've been hearing a lot about outlines and the importance of securing these from upper year classmates. Is this a hard thing to do? Are they fairly easy to come by? Not entirely sure why, but this has been something on my mind that I've been really curious about.  

Hi! This is not something to worry about at all. Outlines are plentiful, especially for first year classes because everyone has to take them.

Around August, there will be an law “sibling match” where you will be paired with an upper year student to help introduce you to the college. You can ask your upper year for their 1L outlines (and/or any 1L outlines they used or found useful) and they will hook you up. Also, if you haven’t already done so, join the “Official LSA Social Group” on Facebook. We used to have a CANs bank there that was updated yearly. There wasn’t a new one last year, but the current LSA president has promised to bring it back (I think??). Anyways, you can scroll back to about Nov 2020 to download the latest CANs drive. There are many, many 1L outlines there that should cover most of what you’ll need, less a few possible textbook modifications. 

kdiddy
  • Law School Admit

4 hours ago, cokezero said:

Hi! This is not something to worry about at all. Outlines are plentiful, especially for first year classes because everyone has to take them.

Around August, there will be an law “sibling match” where you will be paired with an upper year student to help introduce you to the college. You can ask your upper year for their 1L outlines (and/or any 1L outlines they used or found useful) and they will hook you up. Also, if you haven’t already done so, join the “Official LSA Social Group” on Facebook. We used to have a CANs bank there that was updated yearly. There wasn’t a new one last year, but the current LSA president has promised to bring it back (I think??). Anyways, you can scroll back to about Nov 2020 to download the latest CANs drive. There are many, many 1L outlines there that should cover most of what you’ll need, less a few possible textbook modifications. 

Okay, that's great. Seems like the match-up will be super helpful. I'll definitely take a look at the older CANs drive to check out the resources there. Appreciate your response a ton!

LegallyTired
  • Law Student
On 6/15/2022 at 11:24 AM, kdiddy said:

Hi @cokezero

I would actually advise against relying on outlines (CANS) from upper years. I read the majority of cases and made my own CANS and did far better as a result. I only resorted to upper year’s CANS when I was running out of time studying. There is a significant advantage to actually doing the reading and making your own notes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
cokezero
  • Law Student
On 7/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, asuddendaze said:

Can you advise at all on registering for classes? 

Yes! As a 1L you will be automatically registered in all of your 1L classes. You don’t need to do anything other than show up on the first day. You don’t choose your own classes/self-register/make your own schedule until second and third year. You should get an email advising you of the automatic course registration and with your schedule details soon (to your usask email).