Chance? cGPA 3.0, L2 3.5, pre-LSAT

Fatpenguin

Fatpenguin
  • Applicant

I know my GPA is pretty bad. I've had undiagnosed ADHD for most of my university career. I've also taken a gap year after my first year. My transcript really isn't ideal.

However I turned things around in my last 2 years for the most part. As for work experience, I've worked mostly in tourism and hospitality in National Parks throughout Canada. I've prioritized travel and life experience in my early 20's. On my gap year I moved to Europe and worked there, and after university I came to Korea to teach English. I hope these are things that might count on my personal statement. 

As for my LSAT, I'm able to dedicate 3 months to study full time in order to get the best grade possible. So I have faith I'll be able to pull a pretty good score.

So what are my chances? I'm looking to apply to Ryerson, UofA, UofC, and UNB as they focus on L2.

Also, this would be for September 2024 admissions.

McDavid97
  • Law Student

Aim for at least 167 on the LSAT if you want to give yourself a good chance of getting into the UofA without holistic consideration

pinsandneedles
  • Law School Admit

안녕하세요 @Fatpenguin,

Your GPA is not that bad for L2 schools! Below median by a bit, but nothing that can't be overcome with a good LSAT score. I didn't apply to Ryerson, but I did apply to all the other schools on your list.

My stats are:

LSAT: 169

cGPA: 2.82

L17: 3.84

L22: 3.30

With those stats I was accepted at TRU, UofA, UMan, UOttawa, UNB, Dalhousie. Rejected at UofT and UofC. Waitlisted at UVic, UBC, Osgoode. Still waiting to hear back from Queens, and USask. 

If you can get a 3.85 GPA this upcoming year, your L20 could be above median at some schools. 

Since you have time on your side, I would recommend writing the exam at least a few times. If I could go back in time, I would have written it the maximum number of times. I definitely look back and regret not being able to write again. In my case, it really seemed like every point was important. Find a good LSAT program. Some of them out there really suck. LSAT Demon took me from 154 to 169 in three months. 

One other piece of advice is to still apply to the schools you would consider going to even if it seems like they focus more on cGPA. You can often apply as a mature student or access. A good personal statement can take you a long way. If I'm being honest, I didn't even care what the school focused on in terms of GPA. I just sent in my application anyways. If you can execute on a high LSAT score and have a really solid year and get a 3.85 GPA, you will put yourself in the running for at least 8-10 schools across the country.

Hope this helps, and you can DM me anytime if you have any other questions. Best of luck! 🙂 

Pittielynn
  • Law Student

I also got into Dal with stats like that. I would work on getting the LSAT in the mid 160 range just in case, and make a strong personal statement that comments on why earlier year grades suffered and what you've done to avoid that happening in the future.