Considerations for Starting a Family

TangoMango

TangoMango
  • Law Student

Hello! 

My partner and I are having cursory discussions about starting a family. I have just started articling and will be done early next year. 

How hard is it to find a job post articling before being called to the bar assuming I don't get hired back? Would this process be made more difficult if I was going to go on maternity leave shortly after my call to the bar? 

I have read a thread on here regarding mat leave but was wondering if anyone had any further thoughts or wanted to share their experience. 

Thanks!

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

For getting a job post-articling, the answer depends on your practice area (along with a lot of other factors, but thats probably the most important one). 

Would another consideration be how long you intend to go on mat leave for? I assume if you are coming back right away they might not event notice you were gone. On the other hand if you intend to take 8 months off, it would be a dramatically different situation.

TangoMango
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, chaboywb said:

For getting a job post-articling, the answer depends on your practice area (along with a lot of other factors, but thats probably the most important one). 

Do you happen to know how it is for family law?

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, TangoMango said:

Do you happen to know how it is for family law?

As a family law lawyer, I think when you would go on maternity leave - either following articling or wait until you enter practice - won't matter that much in the job hunt. Admittedly, although not a parent myself, I can imagine how demanding a young child can be and how a child could cut into your available work hours.

How much this timing would affect your job hunt, really depends on the firm.

There are plenty of "mommy friendly" firms ran by brilliant female lawyers who juggle being an overtime mom and a commander-in-chief wife on the side. If anything, being a young mom can make you more "fit" for the role because of the firm culture. Moreover, you can identify with many clients (e.g. how much childcare costs, child's bedtime routine, child's development stages, and other topics only a parent would know) and the struggles they go through as a single parent.

When to start a family is a tremendously private decision. While "work" is a factor to consider, also know that conversely, your work might become so demanding that you find yourself pushing off starting a family with your spouse. When you are busy in practice, days can feel like hours and weeks feel fleeting. Your child will only be three-year-old once, have only elementary school graduation, prom etc. You don't want to miss out on these important milestones.

If you want to have a good work-life balance, consider applying to firms outside of major city centers. Do some networking and interview at as many firms as possible to learn their cultures.

I sacrificed a good portion of my mid-20s on Bay St doing family law, supporting senior partners during early morning hours at the expense of my health and romantic life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there's any formula. I was an 11 year call when we had our kid, but we made the decision 5 years earlier. I personally liked the security of having a well-established career before doing it, but I can also easily see the appeal of doing it sooner, especially if you plan to have more than one kid.

I think all of the firms talk a good game on maternity leave these days, and most firms practice what they preach, but there are always going to be challenges, harder at some firms (or more accurately, practice groups) than others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1