Switching Markets after 2L summer

Average stats great ECs

Average stats great ECs
  • Law Student

I am a 2L in Western Canada working for a big law firm that has a Toronto office. Is it possible to ask my firm whether I can article in Toronto?

I thought i wanted to stay out here indefinitely, I didn't really have a plan, I just wanted to land a job in a biglaw firm and cut my teeth. When applying to this firm, I told them I would be happy in either office. I asked them which office to apply to, and they told me both because they understand that students have ties to different areas. I applied to both and I got the job out West. 

1 month into my summer gig, I totally love the firm. However, certain life circumstances have changed (relationships, parents, etc.) and it has made me realize that it is important I am in Toronto near my family. People in my firm have lateraled to different offices, but it usually doesn't happen until after articling. I just got my articling offer and I am not sure what to do. I was thinking of booking a meeting with my student coordinator to talk about this and the possibility of making a transition to the Toronto office for articling. Is this a bad call? What should I be doing? I feel the need/importance of being back home, but at the same time, I don't want to burn down everything i have built and worked towards. I want to stay in biglaw, especially with the firm I am currently working for.

Have any of you seen this happen? Is it possible? Any advice is appreciated

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Yes, you can ask, and yes, speaking with your student coordinator is likely the best way of doing so. Whether the firm allows you to move offices is going to depend on a whole host of factors, such as how integrated the offices are and whether there is demand for the type of work you in which you are interested in Toronto.  

The one thing I would recommend turning your mind to ahead of any such meeting is what your plan is if the firm says they will not let you transfer. For example:

• Are you interested in articling at the firm and trying to make the jump post-articling, either at your current firm or with another?
  • Would you decline an articling offer and pursue Toronto opportunities, given the relatively few big law articling positions that are likely available?
  • Does you law society allow you to "hold" articling offers while searching for articles in another jurisdiction? If so, do you want to do that?
  • Are there any alternatives to a full office move, such as articling in your current jurisdiction with a secondment to the Toronto office, which will satisfy you? 

All in all, it seems you like have a good grasp of how you should approach this. Just think about the above questions and be polite and honest with your student coordinator about what you want and why. 

Average stats great ECs
  • Law Student
On 6/18/2022 at 5:50 AM, BlockedQuebecois said:

• Are there any alternatives to a full office move, such as articling in your current jurisdiction with a secondment to the Toronto office, which will satisfy you? 

Can you please explain this option? I have never heard of someone doing something like that