Chances for International Student cGPA 3.57 (L2/B2: 3.79) LSAT: 166 (best)

J Alfred Prufrock

J Alfred Prufrock
  • Applicant

I am planning to apply to law school in the upcoming cycle. I am trying to understand what the trends are like for admissions in Canada. I am hoping the folks here will be able to help me out.

The cGPA (3.57) I have noted is the one on my undergraduate transcript (I graduated already--from a Canadian university).

The L2 and B2 (3.79) calculations are according to an OLSAS calculator I found and they are the exact same figures for me.

My best LSAT score is 166 (I am not too keen on retaking anymore, but I am welcome to differing advice that might give me something to think about)

I attended two different undergraduate institutions. I transferred after my second year and switched from STEM to Humanities (which is where I performed best). I had credits given (no grades) for my first year grades at my first university; I appealed on grounds of health. After my transfer to my second and graduation institution, I struggled with health issues and finding the right program. Many of my grades were affected during that first year after transferring. However, I bounced back and performed very well my last two years.

I have a bit of varied work experience. I have worked in a few different industries including in Canada and my home country. I have worked briefly in supply chain, auditing and currently working in industrial operations (without being too specific)--this is my main job right now and is in Canada.

I am also very "academic-oriented". I am a part time research assistant in social work at a university (different than my undergraduate institution). I also tutored A-level students during COVID to help with exam preparation (mainly English Literature, but also philosophy and political theory).

I presented papers at a few different humanities (undergraduate) conferences (in Canada and US) during my undergraduate. I was also a fellow at a few think tanks (in US and Canada) during university--these were academic in nature and merged, what I would consider are political theory and public policy.

I was involved with a few different student clubs during university--these were also somewhat diverse (cultural, debate, film etc.).

I volunteered to help out at my undergraduate institution in various capacities (events, admissions, marketing). Other than that, I do not have any volunteer experience in Canada. I have volunteered in my home country (mainly with orphans and in healthcare).

My goals are to find employment in BigLaw due to financial and immigration reasons. However, my dream (it seems though it will always be that) is to work in the judicial system (work up to becoming a judge). For now, what schools offer the best chances of employment in corporate/biglaw. And, do I have a chance at those schools?

Curiously, what are the outcomes (employment; return on investment) of attending Calgary, Alberta or Queen's for law. And, do I have a chance for these schools?

And, what are my overall chances for Canadian law schools, and which schools?

I really appreciate anyone and everyone who can offer any insight and help. Thank you for your help, in advance.

AHappyLawyer
  • Lawyer

I'm going to say you have a decent/good chance at any Canadian law school you apply to. Just work on your application materials. Have you considered UofT or Osgoode? They generally give the best odds at Toronto BigLaw, which is the largest BigLaw market. Apply broadly. 

Calgary, Alberta or Queen's are fine schools. Where do you want to work and live? It's a bit of a random list here. Calgary and Alberta are much stronger for Edmonton and Calgary obviously, and you see far fewer graduates in Toronto. Queen's is a perfectly good school too, but I wouldn't take it over UofT or Osgoode if BigLaw career outcomes is your 1a and 1b criteria. 

Edited by AHappyLawyer
  • Like 1

J Alfred Prufrock
  • Applicant
56 minutes ago, AHappyLawyer said:

I'm going to say you have a decent/good chance at any Canadian law school you apply to. Just work on your application materials. Have you considered UofT or Osgoode? They generally give the best odds at Toronto BigLaw, which is the largest BigLaw market. Apply broadly. 

Calgary, Alberta or Queen's are fine schools. Where do you want to work and live? It's a bit of a random list here. Calgary and Alberta are much stronger for Edmonton and Calgary obviously, and you see far fewer graduates in Toronto. Queen's is a perfectly good school too, but I wouldn't take it over UofT or Osgoode if BigLaw career outcomes is your 1a and 1b criteria. 

Thank you very much for your (positively assuring) response. 

I am certainly planning on applying to Toronto. In the past, at least, I heard that Osgoode has a stressful or competitive environment for students (although I am not sure how accurate or up to date this information is). My plan is to get in touch with admission offices to see if they can connect me to students or admissions officers to learn more. 

I currently live and work in Alberta, which is why I pointed out Calgary and Alberta law schools. Queen's was my first undergraduate institution and it was (at least many years ago) a very cooperative and relatively stress-free community. I mentioned these schools due to a certain sense of familiarity with them. 

Living in Alberta has actually been a positive experience for me so far. Depending on what the legal market here is like, I would not mind working here in future. I figured the energy sector is somewhere I could see myself working. It is also relevant to one of my current jobs (recycling). I am also in contact with the admissions offices here (Calgary and Alberta) to figure out whether they would be a good fit for me.

However, like you said, Toronto is the bigger legal market, and I will certainly evaluate my options as I apply and receive decisions. I am planning to apply across the spectrum of schools regardless. I am expecting that some will not accept me and so I will have to plan accordingly.  

What are your thoughts on UBC and the Vancouver legal market? Is it comparable to Toronto (school and market)? Does it have ties to the California Legal Market (Bay Area or LA). I can certainly see myself working in Vancouver or California (although the latter will be down the road in all likelihood, if it materializes at all).

Once again, thank you for your reply. I appreciate the insight.

AHappyLawyer
  • Lawyer
On 6/18/2022 at 5:10 PM, J Alfred Prufrock said:

I am certainly planning on applying to Toronto. In the past, at least, I heard that Osgoode has a stressful or competitive environment for students (although I am not sure how accurate or up to date this information is). My plan is to get in touch with admission offices to see if they can connect me to students or admissions officers to learn more. 

Osgoode is a large, diverse law school. There certainly can be stressful and competitive behaviour, but not more so than any other law school. I certainly wouldn't let it deter you from applying. It's a top school. 

On 6/18/2022 at 5:10 PM, J Alfred Prufrock said:

What are your thoughts on UBC and the Vancouver legal market? Is it comparable to Toronto (school and market)? Does it have ties to the California Legal Market (Bay Area or LA). I can certainly see myself working in Vancouver or California (although the latter will be down the road in all likelihood, if it materializes at all).

I'm not an expert on the Vancouver market, but it's a much smaller city than Toronto and (someone correct me if I'm wrong) a lot of the work is set around mining, Asia-Pacific business and some tech. I wouldn't overthink it though. If you have visited and would love to work there, by all means apply to UBC. 

Your ability to practice in California has no bearing on what Canadian city you work in, and everything to do with whether you have experience in a large reputable Canadian law firm with corporate/transactional law work.