When are NYC Big Law Applications Typically Due for 2L?

Lawguy193

Lawguy193
  • Law Student

When is the NYC applications for 2L summer outside the formal recruit process occurring at Toronto or McGill typically due? Am I too late? If anyone knows I would love to know because I am worried I'm too late! Thanks in advance.

Chemistry124

Direct applications for many/most firms have been opened for 2-3 weeks now and have given out screeners/CBs/offers. You should apply to those. If a firm does not have a direct app open, consider reaching out to recruiting (cold email) or associates/partners at the firm (networking). It's not "too late" per se since most firms will still fill the bulk of their summer classes through OCI, but you always want to maximize your chances. This is especially the case now that the economy is noticeably slowing and also because you're not at a core recruiting school of theirs (T-14).

Things to consider: Some firms will not allow apps to multiple offices. Some will not consider direct apps if they are coming to your campus to recruit. Most make offers akin to rolling admission (filling up their summer classes as they go) but will hold any given offers open for a couple of weeks. I believe this 2-week period usually starts until after OCI ends in late-July or early-August, but some firms will start the clock as soon as they make the early non-OCI offer (ex: Latham).

• Like 1

Lawguy193
  • Law Student
52 minutes ago, Chemistry124 said:

Direct applications for many/most firms have been opened for 2-3 weeks now and have given out screeners/CBs/offers. You should apply to those. If a firm does not have a direct app open, consider reaching out to recruiting (cold email) or associates/partners at the firm (networking). It's not "too late" per se since most firms will still fill the bulk of their summer classes through OCI, but you always want to maximize your chances. This is especially the case now that the economy is noticeably slowing and also because you're not at a core recruiting school of theirs (T-14).

Things to consider: Some firms will not allow apps to multiple offices. Some will not consider direct apps if they are coming to your campus to recruit. Most make offers akin to rolling admission (filling up their summer classes as they go) but will hold any given offers open for a couple of weeks. I believe this 2-week period usually starts until after OCI ends in late-July or early-August, but some firms will start the clock as soon as they make the early non-OCI offer (ex: Latham).

Thank you this gives me a great timeline. I will get on it!