2023 MAG Salary Increases

Judgelight

Judgelight
  • Lawyer

Inspired by the "big law" salary thread, I thought I'd post MAG increase rates for 2023. IMO, these salaries are the absolute minimum any lawyer in the city of Toronto should be getting paid. If you are getting paid less than what MAG pays, start looking for a new job.

1st year starting: 93k~

2nd year starting: 98k~

3rd year starting: 104k~

4th year starting: 110k~

5th year starting: 117k~

6th year starting: 128k~

CC3: 137k - 225k

Private sector reference: https://www.zsa.ca/salary-guide/

Edited by Judgelight
  • Like 7

frankconners
  • Lawyer

I know salary isn’t the biggest draw for going into government (hours, type of work, pension etc.) but my goodness the difference in these numbers compared to Big Law…

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, frankconners said:

I know salary isn’t the biggest draw for going into government (hours, type of work, pension etc.) but my goodness the difference in these numbers compared to Big Law…

I work in big law and even though I virtually make twice I'm still not sure it's worth it, lol. 

You're right re: pension. Last time I calculated with conservative assumptions, here in Qc the pension plan was worth about 35k for a 100k salary (plus the ease of mind during markets turmoil that it is defined benefits)

Edited by infoinfoinfo

Judgelight
  • Lawyer
10 hours ago, infoinfoinfo said:

I work in big law and even though I virtually make twice I'm still not sure it's worth it, lol. 

You're right re: pension. Last time I calculated with conservative assumptions, here in Qc the pension plan was worth about 35k for a 100k salary (plus the ease of mind during markets turmoil that it is defined benefits)

If my job was 9 - 5, I'd absolutely agree with you. The problem is that it isn't. 

How many 3 year civil litigators are doing complex trials on a weekly basis, on their own? Even monthly?

I have colleagues that haven't had a prep day in months. Would you run 3 - 4, 1 week trials in 2 months with 4 days of prep between the trials lol (so 4 days for all of them)?

The problem isn't necessarily salary, its lack of job stability (the constant re-interviewing and stress from lack of stability), the lack of prep-time and the lack of any real meaningful education or mentorship.

10 hours ago, infoinfoinfo said:

Assuming the pension is worth 35k for 100k, the salary is still not comparable to the private sector. (we're talking about a difference of 40k alone a year, which increases rapidly year on year).

Edited by Judgelight