Should I move out or stay at home?

coffeelover

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit

Hi all, 

just wondering what your thoughts would be on moving out and being close to campus or just staying home and commuting daily (roughly 30 minutes to school)? I am in conflict with whether it's worth it to leave home and pay rent with a roommate or if I should just save money and live at home. I don't want it to hinder my chances at missing out on events on campus or not getting enough study done because of the commute. What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth it to move from your parents and get a place downtown or just stay home and commute

AllRise
  • Law Student

I would advise staying home to save money. A half hour of commuting time is not going to hinder your ability to stay involved on campus or involve yourself in social endeavors.

If money is no issue, then moving out is a fun experience I would recommend... that being said you then have to consider if having a roommate is a good fit for your personality. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

30 minutes is a fairly short commute, but not all commutes are created equal. Is that by car or public transit?

Byzantine
  • Law Student

I had a 40 min commute and don't feel like it negatively impacted me in any way. I was still able to go to all the events I wanted and get my studying done. I wouldn't base your decision on whether to move out or not on the commute. If you're happy living with your family and can save money I would say go for it. If you feel like you would rather move out for various reasons, and it's worth the extra expenditure, then do that. Don't base the decision on the commute! 

I took a 40 minute commute to school in 1L and I thought it was fine at first. But in the winter the traffic was so bad and I was late all the time. To compensate for that I would either drive (and pay for parking) or leave an hour early. I remember hating the experience so much and eventually moving to a condo closer to campus. I would say it depends on the location and climate, as well as your access to buses/subways/cars. 

Edited by hiccups

Khrisse
  • Law Student

I feel like this is ultimately a very personal decision. Saving money is good. Being close to campus and getting some space from family is also good. My bias: if I could afford it, I’d want to be close to campus to minimize the likelihood of missing class, and I’d appreciate space from my family. Your mileage may vary. Good luck in your decision! 

3 hours ago, coffeelover said:

Hi all, 

just wondering what your thoughts would be on moving out and being close to campus or just staying home and commuting daily (roughly 30 minutes to school)? I am in conflict with whether it's worth it to leave home and pay rent with a roommate or if I should just save money and live at home. I don't want it to hinder my chances at missing out on events on campus or not getting enough study done because of the commute. What are your thoughts on this? Is it worth it to move from your parents and get a place downtown or just stay home and commute

30 mins is not a big deal. 

Patient0L
  • Law Student

Would your parents help you with rent?

If you think it’s a possibility, it’s worth asking…

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit

Thanks for the insight everyone! I think you all brought up some good points. 

5 hours ago, Rashabon said:

30 minutes is a fairly short commute, but not all commutes are created equal. Is that by car or public transit?

This commute would be by car. I just wanted to save time on commute especially in the winter (I live in Kanata area) so I'm afraid commuting Kanata to downtown during the winters would negatively effect my time doing other things however, I also need to take into account that I would need to do my groceries and make food if I move out, so that would also take away from studying. I'm afraid the 30 min commute might be WAY longer in winter especially with morning classes

Edited by coffeelover