How Hard Is It To Do Well In L1?

StressedLlama
  • Law School Admit

Hi there,

I wanted to ask if any LASL 2Ls or 3Ls out there could share their insights on how their experience was in L1 (specifically in terms of grades). I don't know why I have this (probably highly uninformed) perception that most students' grades tank in 1L. Is this true? Is it really difficult to get As? Is the grading system in law school ambiguous (so that working hard doesn't mean you'll get a good grade)?

I did fairly well in my undergraduate studies (if I worked hard enough, an A would be feasible) but I feel like the unique way in which law school is taught and structured means that a strong undergraduate student doesn't at all mean a strong law school student. Would you guys say that is true?

Any input would be appreciated!

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

This is not specific to LASL:

Basically everyone going to a Canadian law school was able to achieve competitive undergraduate grades, as well as competitive LSAT scores. They are then graded on a curve against each other. So if the average admit undergrad GPA is an A- and the law school curves to a B, then obviously most people aren't going to get the same grades in 1L that they were used to getting in undergrad. This isn't rocket science.

Difficulty of achieving strong grades in law school, and amount of effort required, varies wildly from individual to individual. Some people innately perform very well in law exams with minimal effort, others will struggle to achieve average grades no matter how much work they put in. This unfortunately isn't really something you can predict or that can be generalized about; you just need to go through with it and see where the chips fall.

• Like 4