Double Counting Credits?

stk97

stk97
  • Law School Admit

Hello!

I was eyeing pursuing two options but was unsure if uOttawa 'double counts' credits, meaning if one course fulfills requirements for 2 different programs/options, it will count towards both. I am just wondering if anyone knows if the 18 credits per option must be unique or if one course can fulfill requirements for 2 options, as I can't seem to find it in the academic regulations, nor did general advising seem to know. 

Thank you very much!

Taiko
  • Law Student

Don't quote me on this, but I'm 99% sure that I either read or heard during a session that you cannot double count credits toward two different options. Having said that, I'm also 99% sure that you will ultimately decide against pursuing 2 program options. Employers really aren't concerned about options. They do look at your planned upper year courses. But if you don't already have a job lined up by the time that option appears on your transcript, you're in trouble, and an option isn't going to help. Besides, Ottawa has a ton of courses and extracurricular opportunities to explore and you don't want to limit yourself by boxing yourself into 2 options.

• Like 1

goodisgood
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, Taiko said:

Don't quote me on this, but I'm 99% sure that I either read or heard during a session that you cannot double count credits toward two different options. Having said that, I'm also 99% sure that you will ultimately decide against pursuing 2 program options. Employers really aren't concerned about options. They do look at your planned upper year courses. But if you don't already have a job lined up by the time that option appears on your transcript, you're in trouble, and an option isn't going to help. Besides, Ottawa has a ton of courses and extracurricular opportunities to explore and you don't want to limit yourself by boxing yourself into 2 options.

It was a bit of a hassle to find since uOttawa inexplicably changed their website, but: https://www2.uottawa.ca/faculty-law/common-law/student-centre/courses/option-international-law

"...The credits for a course which is an approved course for more than one Option will be counted only once and cannot be cumulated from one Option to the other.  A student registered in more than one Option must complete the major paper for each Option chosen."