How does the two days of OCIs impact scheduling?

Law_Student_X

Law_Student_X

Hi there,

I'm curious as to whether students at UofT/Osgoode usually take more OCIs (20+) due to the two days they have to OCI, or just spread out roughly the same amount of OCIs as students in other schools throughout the two days so each day isn't as packed? Obviously the amount of OCI offers someone gets needs to be taken into consideration, but assuming all goes well and many OCIs are offered, should students usually take as many as they can get - is that the best way to leverage the additional day? 

Thanks.

Edited by Law_Student_X

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

People for sure take more OCIs than they would be able to at a school that does only one day. I did 14 or 15 which, across two days, was not that bad. But if you tried cramming that into one day, it’d be a nightmare (if that’s even possible - I haven't done the math).

My personal view is that you should take as many as you get, up to a max of 20 OCIs. But be honest with yourself about how many hours you’ll be able to maintain your peppy interview persona, and adjust your max accordingly.

Edited by Pecan Boy

JustHereNotStaying
  • Law Student

Take as many as you can. I found out that during the first interview I totally was nervous. The second interview was less so. Third, I got the hang of it. 

Even if you get nothing out of OCIs take it as a learning experience. All the people with marks, extracurricular etc get the interviews. But it's your personality, execution and advocacy that land you the actual job. You might be the person they weren't so sure about, but if you know how to interview, you can convince them otherwise. 

Think of it this way - no one wants someone that is an A+ student but does not know how to socialize at all, hides in a corner and is completely not confident in their ability to advocate.

My closing - make this a good experience, even if you get absolutely nothing - you learned how to interview for the next time. good luck.

• Like 1