HBA JD Program

forumuserpro

forumuserpro
  • Undergrad

I've heard that Western has a business dual degree program (HBA/JD), but I haven't been able to find much when it comes to stats for admission. Would any current students be comfortable sharing their GPA + LSAT going in to that program?

Edit: Feel free to DM me if you'd be more comfortable that way.

Edited by forumuserpro
New sentence

goosie
  • Lawyer

I wasn't a dual degree student, but anecdotally my understanding is that it's pretty competitive, but you're competing more so with other HBA/JD applicants, not the larger pool of applicants. Take this with a grain of salt because honestly this is just a guess based on what I think I remember others mentioning about the process. If you contact the Western Law admissions office they might be able to put you in touch with an actual HBA/JD student who could tell you more.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
9 hours ago, forumuserpro said:

I've heard that Western has a business dual degree program (HBA/JD), but I haven't been able to find much when it comes to stats for admission. Would any current students be comfortable sharing their GPA + LSAT going in to that program?

Edit: Feel free to DM me if you'd be more comfortable that way.

https://www.uwo.ca/univsec/pdf/academic_policies/admission/law.pdf

At least three-years of full-time (or equivalent) undergraduate university education is required, although the majority of admitted students will have a four-year degree. A competitive candidate will have an overall undergraduate average of A- (80-84%) (GPA 3.7), and an LSAT score above the 80th percentile. The Admissions Committee considers the highest LSAT score and cumulative undergraduate GPA (including grades obtained on academic exchanges) but gives greater weight to the last two full years of undergraduate university study.

The Admissions Committee considers factors other than undergraduate grades and LSAT scores, including employment, personal and professional achievements, extra-curricular engagement, volunteer activities, and other life experience. A full course load throughout the candidate’s undergraduate academic career, research and writing experience, and graduate work are also very positive factors.

aurora borealis
  • Law Student

There's information about the combined program specifically on the last page of the PDF Rashabon linked to:

"Students may apply to the Faculty of Law directly for admission to one of two undergraduate combineddegree programs (HBA/JD with the Ivey School of Business and BESc/JD with Western’s Faculty of Engineering) by May 1 following the HBA1 year of study or Year 3 of Engineering, as the case may be. Applicants must meet Faculty of Law admission requirements. Generally, a competitive HBA/JD applicant will have a cumulative average of 80% or more in HBA1. An LSAT score above the 80th percentile is considered competitive for all combined-degree candidates."

I have no idea whether the stats they consider competitive changed since this was written.