Bad 1L Grades - unsure what to do

TheRealLegallyBrunette

TheRealLegallyBrunette
  • Law Student

My 1L grades were released a while ago, but I am finally coming to terms with them. For context, I received an A- (Dispute Resolution); 2 B+'s (Elective + Contracts); 2 B's (Property + Torts); 2 C+s (Legal resarch and PubCon); and 1 C (Crim). I was interested in applying for OCI's, but based on my grades, it does seem like I am screwed for the recruit. I am now considering working for a boutique firm instead. I really don't want to be a solo practitioner, but it almost seems like I have no other choice now (I am not entrepreneurial and thrive better in an environment where I am given direction).

How can I improve my chances of getting a job during the 2L summer with grades like this? I think I can do much better in 2L because I chose paper based courses (I am a bad test taker, and generally do well in paper based classes) and I am getting a better feel of the law school system. If I do better in the first half of 2L, can I leverage those courses for the Ottawa recruit?

Edited by TheRealLegallyBrunette
  • Hugs 2

Ryn
  • Lawyer

So I have a few things I want to say, though I've been out of the student side of the recruit for a long time (I got my summer job through OCIs in 2016), so take that as you will.

Firstly, the C grades suck but I think it's helpful that they are not in the areas typically associated with OCI jobs, except for maybe legal research. You have a B+ in contracts and an A-, which do show above average aptitude.

I used to be a part of the hiring at a mid-size OCI firm, and we tended to give greater weight to courses typically associated with the kind of work we did, versus other areas like crim or constitutional law.

What you can do now

I still think you should apply, but of course you should temper your expectations. I know people who got OCI jobs with C/C+ grades on their transcript, but you will really have to lean on any extra curricular experience you might have. Things I know I looked for when I did hiring, and we saw an applicant with mostly average or some C grades, was involvement in things like community legal organizations (either through the law school, like Parkdale or CLASP at Osgoode, or independently) or notable competitions (research or mooting). Additionally, if you have applicable work experience, especially if it's entrepreneurial in nature, that tends to be a plus. Though this latter one is normally not something a K-JD student has, assuming that's the category you fall into. If you have a graduate degree, that may increase your chances too.

Even if you have one or more of those factors, you can probably expect anywhere from 0 to 3 hits at most. But these firms will actually be interested in you, so make sure you really do your research about what the firm is looking for in a student and try and sell yourself that way. These firms will likely be boutique or mid-size firms that are looking for a certain x-factor that you might have nailed despite your grades. It would be helpful to find out what that factor is, which you might be able to learn by taking coffee meetings with lawyers there or just asking around. It could be entrepreneurship (which tends to be a big factor for this cohort of firms), initiative, ability to work well independently with little supervision, that sort of thing.

I would probably discount the large full service firms; your grades are likely too low to be of interest to them, as they tend to go the much more traditional route of filling student spots. That said, you may get one interview from them, but I would substantially temper expectations even if you do.

What you can do next year

Regardless how OCIs go, you should definitely identify your strengths and play to them. You said you do well in paper courses, so take as many as you can then. Provided that you are right, your grades should increase substantially in 2L. With that, you can apply to the articling recruit. Plenty of quite notable firms dip into the articling recruit to fill slots, so if you've got the grades, your chances should be much better then.

Consider also taking on a research assistant role either over the school year or next summer (if this is interesting to you). Often, these positions open up in the fall and you can apply. If you have a good relationship with a particular professor, you can even ask if they're looking for an assistant or know another professor who is. Competition for these roles tend to be a bit more holistic than just looking at grades, certainly if you have a relationship with the person you are looking to work with.

Next year, get involved in legal aid, intensives, competitive moots, or similar kinds of experiences your law school might offer (again, if it's of interest). These tend to help when applying, though it's true they don't help as much as good grades do (but they do help some!)

Ending up on Bay Street

If you don't succeed at OCIs and strike out at the articling recruit, you should know that, statistically, something like 90+% of graduates from an Ontario school find articles within a year of graduating law school. The vast majority of these students find them before they graduate or within a few months of doing so (usually before the August start date of most articling terms). Provided you don't get poor grades in 2L or 3L, I would imagine you will be among this group.

If you ultimately want to end up at a Bay Street firm, even if you don't summer or article there, it is definitely possible. Certainly, it's difficult, but not impossible with gumption and competence. A lot of associates leave Bay Street in years 3-5, which is, coincidentally, the perfect time to lateral into Bay. A few years as an associate at a smaller shop doing the kind of work you want to do on Bay may provide you with some interesting opportunities.

Anyway, whatever happens, good luck!

• Like 1

Those aren't that bad. For recruit purposes, start networking and talk to the firms you are interested in. Some firms may be willing to overlooking grades if you network enough. For school/learning, talk to the profs in the classes you got bad grades in and see where you went wrong. Profs generally want to help students and are willing to go through your exam with you so you know what to do better on your next ones.