Is waiting this long for admission decisions normal or not?

takemebacktothe2000s

takemebacktothe2000s
  • Law School Admit

This is my first and last time applying for law schools. I have been accepted to a law school outside of Ontario, however I'd like to know from current/past law school applicants if waiting until the end of June and still not hearing anything back from Ontario law schools are normal or not. I was accepted by Dalhousie in December, rejected by University of Toronto in March, wait listed by Osgoode in April and still have not heard anything from Queens. Is this normal behaviour from Ontario? I wonder if I had applied to more schools outside of Ontario, if I would have heard an answer back by now or not. 

For reference:

• cGPA: 3.55
  • L2: 3.8
  • LSAT: 165

prelawfemme
On 6/27/2021 at 1:45 AM, takemebacktothe2000s said:

This is my first and last time applying for law schools. I have been accepted to a law school outside of Ontario, however I'd like to know from current/past law school applicants if waiting until the end of June and still not hearing anything back from Ontario law schools are normal or not. I was accepted by Dalhousie in December, rejected by University of Toronto in March, wait listed by Osgoode in April and still have not heard anything from Queens. Is this normal behaviour from Ontario? I wonder if I had applied to more schools outside of Ontario, if I would have heard an answer back by now or not. 

For reference:

• cGPA: 3.55
  • L2: 3.8
  • LSAT: 165

For UofT and Osgoode, that is a very normal/fair timeline. The law school admissions process is very long and gruelling in Ontario. You've got very solid stats - so I'd say for an applicant like yourself, it's unusual to not hear from Queen's for this long (unless you wrote a very late LSAT; or it could be the other components of your apps). However, a lot of people have been left waiting for a long time by Queen's, both in the last cycle and this one (but typically those people, like myself, are people with stats on the cusp). Hang in there, there is still a bunch of us waiting a long with you. Hopefully some news is on the way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have similar stats and am also waiting! I did email queen's a few weeks ago and they said I would receive a decision by the July 1st deadline.. though now it's looking like that may not be the case. 

• Like 2

rjs
  • Law School Admit

Still waiting also, though your stats are stronger than mine. Praying that the wait makes an acceptance that much sweeter.  

• Like 3

prelawfemme
54 minutes ago, moody said:

I have similar stats and am also waiting! I did email queen's a few weeks ago and they said I would receive a decision by the July 1st deadline.. though now it's looking like that may not be the case. 

completely unfair to applicants who have provisionally accepted elsewhere... If they don't respond before the July 1st deadline it was a complete waste of waiting and application money. Hoping they actually adhere to this deadline. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, vino said:

I feel like having to wait this long only means one thing for us...

Yeah Im also worried about that... I know about 2 people were accepted yesterday, does that mean that the rest of us are either waitlists or rejections? Or are acceptances still trickling in? I have no idea whats normal for a cycle 

vino
  • Applicant
2 minutes ago, Lawlawland said:

Yeah Im also worried about that... I know about 2 people were accepted yesterday, does that mean that the rest of us are either waitlists or rejections? Or are acceptances still trickling in? I have no idea whats normal for a cycle 

haha weird feeling a bunch of rejections are going out tomorrow

On 6/28/2021 at 2:08 PM, prelawfemme said:

completely unfair to applicants who have provisionally accepted elsewhere... If they don't respond before the July 1st deadline it was a complete waste of waiting and application money. Hoping they actually adhere to this deadline. 

I don't see why it is unfair to applicants who have provisionally accepted elsewhere.

There are others without an offer and not knowing if they are going to law school come Sept

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luckycharm said:

I don't see why it is unfair to applicants who have provisionally accepted elsewhere.

There are others without an offer and not knowing if they are going to law school come Sept

Hey, I appreciate your input to all these forums! Here's my two cents..

We all want to make a choice that is best for us with all the information possible. Where we go to school affects family life for the next few years, future careers, finances, etc. Some of us have obligations outside of school that will be impacted greatly by our location. I understand that getting a response is not a given and admissions are particularly swamped this year, but we did pay application fees so I think expecting a response is fair to ask given how drastically our lives could be uprooted by these decisions. It seems like asking the bare minimum to me, maybe that's just my perspective. I know that better stats or a stronger app could have given us these decisions sooner, but simply not knowing at this point is frustrating and not ever knowing feels unfair (whether it really is or not). At least those who haven't provisionally accepted somewhere will still have the possibility of an acceptance from schools they are waiting on. 

• Like 2

Byakkosan
  • Law Student

I still haven't heard back. Pending approval but I just sent an email withdrawing my application so hopefully it helps someone else 

• Like 1

luckycharm
2 hours ago, Byakkosan said:

I still haven't heard back. Pending approval but I just sent an email withdrawing my application so hopefully it helps someone else 

You did the right thing

• Like 3