Upper Year Students: Advice for Transfers?

lawess

lawess
  • Law Student

Transferring to York as a 2L and feeling unsettled about switching schools in the middle of my law school career. Can any upper year students at Osgoode give us transfer students some advice? More clinics/OPIR related, keeping in mind transfers can't do anything in the fall of 2L/maybe even winter because we've missed the deadlines to apply to a lot of opportunities. Also wouldn't mind hearing if transferring looks bad during the OCI process.

halamadrid
  • Law Student

2L here, welcome to Osgoode! If you're interested in a certain clinic, I would look into any prerequisite courses you need. For example, I think the business law clinics all require Business Associations and Securities to be taken either before or at the latest in the fall term of 3L. Probably would be better to get them done in 2L just so you don't have to worry about it. 

For OPIR, you should eventually have access to the OPIR opportunities webpage. Throughout the year, you'll see several postings from profs, etc. Upper years have also told me that you can reach out to legal clinics and volunteer your time, just make sure you email Lisa Del Col to make sure it is actually eligible for OPIR hours. I haven't done any hours yet so don't feel like you are behind in this regard. 

• Like 1