Chance Me 2023 (Reapplicant): 169 LSAT, 3.7 L20, 2.9 CGPA

ReticentSnacker

ReticentSnacker
  • Applicant

Hello!
I went back to school and I am shooting for a 3.7 GPA for my L20. However my CGPA is very low. Do you think I have a shot, or should I retake the LSAT in the fall and hope to hit 170+?

• Like 1

pinsandneedles
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, ReticentSnacker said:

Hello!
I went back to school and I am shooting for a 3.7 GPA for my L20. However my CGPA is very low. Do you think I have a shot, or should I retake the LSAT in the fall and hope to hit 170+?

With a L20 GPA: 3.7, and LSAT 169, I would think you would be a lock, so I don't think you need to re-write. You would be 10 index points higher than me. I'm guessing you'd be offered in December or January. Or mid-Feb if you have to wait for marks to come in as part of your L20. 

I got in this year mid-April with a L20 GPA: 3.3 and LSAT 169. 

That having been said, for me personally, the waiting was really tough. Having experienced that, if I could have gone back in time and written the test more times to have the peace of mind that comes with getting in earlier, I would have. 

If you PTd higher than 169, and you don't think it would be too arduous to re-write, then those are a couple variables to factor in. Of course, your financial situation also counts. $200 plus dollars to re-write is not insignificant. Summer work situation also matters. There's no way I could write in the summer with my work schedule. 

I guess to sum up. If I were you, I would re-write. But everybody is different, so I'd say it depends. 

ReticentSnacker
  • Applicant

Thank you! I didn't get in to any of the schools I applied to for 2022 with a 169 (and admittedly a significantly lower gpa, so I delayed graduation and have been taking extra courses). I am thinking rewrite in November (I have 5 summer school classes as part of my GPA top-up so I need more time to study) UNLESS U of A goes back to averaging. 

With how competitive things are a 169 just doesn't cut it anymore, as years ago that score would have been a lock, and so I am really hoping to nail a safe 170+.

My hope is a 170+ will make up for a low CGPA and a decent L20... It has been shitty to have to redo this cycle and I'm much less motivated to study as I am a mature student and not getting any younger. Don't want to be the oldest in my class.

48 minutes ago, pinsandneedles said:

With a L20 GPA: 3.7, and LSAT 169, I would think you would be a lock, so I don't think you need to re-write. You would be 10 index points higher than me. I'm guessing you'd be offered in December or January. Or mid-Feb if you have to wait for marks to come in as part of your L20. 

I got in this year mid-April with a L20 GPA: 3.3 and LSAT 169. 

That having been said, for me personally, the waiting was really tough. Having experienced that, if I could have gone back in time and written the test more times to have the peace of mind that comes with getting in earlier, I would have. 

If you PTd higher than 169, and you don't think it would be too arduous to re-write, then those are a couple variables to factor in. Of course, your financial situation also counts. $200 plus dollars to re-write is not insignificant. Summer work situation also matters. There's no way I could write in the summer with my work schedule. 

I guess to sum up. If I were you, I would re-write. But everybody is different, so I'd say it depends. 

Edited by ReticentSnacker

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
On 7/17/2022 at 1:14 AM, ReticentSnacker said:

Thank you! I didn't get in to any of the schools I applied to for 2022 with a 169 (and admittedly a significantly lower gpa, so I delayed graduation and have been taking extra courses). I am thinking rewrite in November (I have 5 summer school classes as part of my GPA top-up so I need more time to study) UNLESS U of A goes back to averaging. 

With how competitive things are a 169 just doesn't cut it anymore, as years ago that score would have been a lock, and so I am really hoping to nail a safe 170+.

My hope is a 170+ will make up for a low CGPA and a decent L20... It has been shitty to have to redo this cycle and I'm much less motivated to study as I am a mature student and not getting any younger. Don't want to be the oldest in my class.

It definitely isnt the case that a 169 doesnt cut it anymore. Perhaps in your particular case. Also when you graduate is irrelevant, you can take classes after a a non degree student to boost gpa. Your age is also irrelevant. I started at almost 30 and was a non issue, plenty of older people.