UVic vs. TRU

Nails22

Would it be a mistake to pick TRU over UVic? I’ve recently been accepted to UVic off their waitlist. Before this acceptance I had the plan of attending TRU. I signed a lease, made friends, told family members, and got into the mindset of moving my life to Kamloops. However, the new UVic acceptance has made me question what I should do. There is obviously a financial incentive to choosing UVic (tuition + I also have family in Victoria I could live with at least for first year) but I am hesitant to change my plans so late in the cycle. Are there any TRU/UVic transfer students who could speak to their experience at both schools? I appreciate any advice and feedback, thanks! 

LMP
  • Law Student

UVic is the right choice. 

Objectively, it significantly cheaper and a far better established institution. 

Subjectively (to some extent though I think the data would support this) it is the better school and will provide better outcomes. You won't find many, if any, people who go TRU despite getting into UBC or UVic. That's is partly financial but partly because there is still a gap between the schools. 

Inertia is a powerful force but don't let it dictate a decision as significant as this one. 

• Thanks 1

@LMP said it very well. I want to add that networking from UVic is much easier than from TRU if you want to work in the Vancouver market. 

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student

I shall 3rd this opinion. UVic is a solid school, it is well regarded with an established alumni network, + it costs literally half as much.

(That’s a savings of ~ $36k.)

Edited by Patient0L
  • Like 2

Philosophy
  • Law Student

UVic has the third or fourth highest admissions standards in Canada in terms of LSAT/GPA at around 164/3.81. 

You'll be surrounded by stronger classmates and a more established alumni network. It is absolutely the right choice over TRU. 

This is my personal opinion but holding everything constant, if UVic was located in Ontario everyone would be blabbering about how great and prestigious it is. 

I remember somebody saying on this forum about how UVic was really underrated and produces solid metrics regarding career outcomes. 

Good luck in the future! 

• Like 5

Conge
  • Lawyer
13 hours ago, Nails22 said:

Would it be a mistake to pick TRU over UVic? I 

All other things being equal, yes. 

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Philosophy said:

This is my personal opinion but holding everything constant, if UVic was located in Ontario everyone would be blabbering about how great and prestigious it is. 

Haha. Too true.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student

150% abort everything and go to uvic. Also its like half the tuition. Youll also have a way better quality of life. Vic life and the uvic campus blow kamloops/tru out of the water

• Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Lilbb19 said:

150% abort everything and go to uvic. Also its like half the tuition. Youll also have a way better quality of life. Vic life and the uvic campus blow kamloops/tru out of the water

I agree OP should go to UVic, but quality of life between Victoria and Kamloops are realistically quite comparable and heavily dependent on the person. If you want more of the trappings of a city, then Victoria is going to be better. But if you're an outdoorsy person who likes to mountain bike, ski, hike, etc. then Kamloops is likely to be better (both in terms of immediately available resources and access to other places where you can do those things. 

I also think saying UVic's campus blows TRU's out of the water is putting it a bit strongly. Uvic's campus is mediocre, as is its law building. It's better than TRU's, but still.  

• Like 4

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
40 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

It's better than TRU's, but still. 

I actually quite liked TRUs law building. However the decision to build condos in front of its view of the valley was stupid and ruined part of it. 

• Like 1