Suits

RickyBubbles01

RickyBubbles01
  • Law Student

Not sure if there's already a thread on this but I'm looking for some solid places to buy suits and/or formal wear. I haven't bought a suit since my grade 12 grad and I really need some suggestions. 

• Thanks 1

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student

If you're not looking to break the bank, I think RW&Co works well. 

• Thanks 2

I ended up having one made. I found a fairly reasonable price and decided that it was worth the investment. 

If that's not in your price range or wheelhouse I'd recommend buying off the rack and having alterations made to make it fit you better. 

When it comes to specific off the rack locations, it varies depending on where you live. An online search is likely to yield some good local results. 

• Thanks 1

RickyBubbles01
  • Law Student

@LMP@Pecan Boy@luckycharm Thanks for the recommendations! Any thoughts on suit supply? Their suits look nice but they're pretty expensive and their recent ad campaign is pretty tacky. 

Edited by RickyBubbles01

4 minutes ago, RickyBubbles01 said:

@LMP@Pecan Boy@luckycharm Thanks for the recommendations! Any thoughts on suit supply? Their suits look nice but they're pretty expensive and their recent ad campaign is pretty tacky. 

Suitsupply can be good. Just know what you are looking for. They have a lot of options so knowing what style and cut you want is helpful.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LMP said:

Suitsupply can be good. Just know what you are looking for. They have a lot of options so knowing what style and cut you want is helpful.

You should not be dressed dressier than your boss

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, luckycharm said:

You should not be dressed dressier than your boss

Thanks, I'll just go spy on them before the interview. Maybe go through their closet. Build a lil peephole in their office.

• LOL 2

10 hours ago, LMP said:

Thanks, I'll just go spy on them before the interview. Maybe go through their closet. Build a lil peephole in their office.

Good idea.

Edited by luckycharm
  • Like 1

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

We don't have a Suits thread so thought I would ask here. During OCIs, is it better to be conservative and stick to wearing only solid coloured ties (no stripes, polka dots)? 

• Like 1

SlytherinLLP
  • Lawyer
23 minutes ago, MapleLeafs said:

We don't have a Suits thread so thought I would ask here. During OCIs, is it better to be conservative and stick to wearing only solid coloured ties (no stripes, polka dots)? 

Wear whatever pattern you prefer as long as it is professional ie. not one with little Darth Vadars on it or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
On 6/23/2021 at 6:06 PM, RickyBubbles01 said:

I think that I'm about to give the opposite advice from @LMP.  Interesting how this differs!  OP, I notice that you're a law school admit - so I'm going to address this point with OCIs in mind.

Suitsupply can be excellent if you're still figuring out what kind of suit you need. I went in there when I was going through the OCI process and snagged something that I liked specifically with the recruit in mind. I had a great experience - they deal with a number of law students/lawyers and were able to give me something that I still wear regularly now. The material/fit was great and they can assist if you're still not sure what you should be getting. The only awkward part was walking into OCIs and realizing that there was someone else wearing the exact same suit with the exact same tie. 

That being said, you don't need to buy something that expensive right away. The places mentioned above are all excellent and will give you what you need right now (Don't buy your first suit from Harry Rosen. You do not need to spend that much cash). You can figure out if you need a SuitSupply suit next summer/over boxing day. They do a huge sale around December where they seriously price down their suits. I was able to get something for about ~250 that would be 700ish regularly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ZineZ said:

I think that I'm about to give the opposite advice from @LMP.  Interesting how this differs!  OP, I notice that you're a law school admit - so I'm going to address this point with OCIs in mind.

SuitSupply can be excellent if you're still figuring out what kind of suit you need. I went in there when I was going through the OCI process and snagged something that I liked specifically with the recruit in mind. I had a great experience - they deal with a number of law students/lawyers and were able to give me something that I still wear regularly now. The material/fit was great and they can assist if you're still not sure what you should be getting. The only awkward part was walking into OCIs and realizing that there was someone else wearing the exact same suit with the exact same tie. 

That being said, you don't need to buy something that expensive right away. The places mentioned above are all excellent and will give you what you need right now (Don't buy your first suit from Harry Rosen. You do not need to spend that much cash). You can figure out if you need a SuitSupply suit next summer/over boxing day. They do a huge sale around December where they seriously price down their suits. I was able to get something for about ~250 that would be 700ish regularly. 

@RickyBubbles01 I'd listen to this info. My advice is coming from a different industry and seeing as @ZineZ is a lawyer they likely know best.

• Thanks 1

goodisgood
  • Law Student

Hi all, I'm looking to get a new suit so I have at least one that fits properly. I've read mixed reviews about Indochino and SuitSupply. I'm looking for something ideally under $600, fitted. Not sure if anyone has any ideas other than the two I already mentioned?

• Like 1

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, goodisgood said:

Hi all, I'm looking to get a new suit so I have at least one that fits properly. I've read mixed reviews about Indochino and SuitSupply. I'm looking for something ideally under $600, fitted. Not sure if anyone has any ideas other than the two I already mentioned?

Merged your topic into this one, OP. Going to eventually see if there's a better home for the entire conversation - but this one works for now. 

• Like 2

• ZineZ changed the title to Suits
Whist
  • Law Student

I started binging Suits recently - it's bad. And yet I just keep going. I'm on season six already. 

As for being on-topic, I found a suit at RW&Co on clearance for $100-ish. (Normally $250-$300, can't recall exactly.) It needs to be tailored but looks perfectly serviceable otherwise. Although I've never actually had to wear a suit before, so my judgement may be off by a lot.

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

OCIs are virtual this year! 

Edited by MapleLeafs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student
12 minutes ago, Ben said:

Where did you hear that?

I've heard that from multiple recruiters at the big firms in Toronto. not sure about in firms 

Ben
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, MapleLeafs said:

I've heard that from multiple recruiters at the big firms in Toronto. not sure about in firms 

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

Edited by Ben