Suits

RickyBubbles01

• 3 weeks later...
soundofconfusion
  • Law Student

This should maybe go in another thread and obviously I'm nowhere near articling yet, but I'd like to avoid wearing leather shoes if there are reasonably professional alternatives. Are there any non-terrible faux-leather shoes out there people would recommend?

Edited by soundofconfusion

• 2 weeks later...
OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

Yes, vegan leather has become the new thing in past few years so there are a lot more options than before. Most stores will carry a leather alternative. There are even shoes made from coconut or plant "leather" now.

I believe Call it Spring carries some brands, in additional to actual "specialty" stores. Mat & Nat is a great line. They carry men's briefcases, bags, accessories, and some men's shoes now too, but only in black so far: https://mattandnat.com/collections/mens/mens_footwear?sort_by=title-ascending

You can also check Nordstrom or the Bay - they might have a few more options. 

• Like 1

OswaldtheRabbit
  • Law School Admit

Hey everyone,

Is it better to buy three piece suits or does it matter? Are there times when vests are important to wear or is wearing a two or three piece suit just a matter of preference?

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
On 2/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, soundofconfusion said:

This should maybe go in another thread and obviously I'm nowhere near articling yet, but I'd like to avoid wearing leather shoes if there are reasonably professional alternatives. Are there any non-terrible faux-leather shoes out there people would recommend?

common projects go well with formal attire IMO 

• Like 1

JohnsonWest
  • Lawyer

What are some reputable stores that have suits with the Peaky Blinders look? I like the classic look but am finding it difficult to find stores that have options in that area. 

• 2 weeks later...
MiceInRice
  • Articling Student

Does anyone have any thoughts on or experience with purchasing suits from Spier & MacKay?

Big Pecker
  • Lawyer
25 minutes ago, MiceInRice said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on or experience with purchasing suits from Spier & MacKay?

As a law student/ incoming articling student, I love Spier & MacKay. Great bang for buck and with little bit of tailoring the OTR offerings look much more expensive than they are. They also give you MTM options as well as other stylistic choices like Neapolitan cut if that's more your thing. 

I have 2 Spier suits in and I'll be adding a 3rd before starting articles. Can't say enough good things about the product and the company. Also had some fit issues (due to quarantine 😄) and they were super helpful in allowing me to exchange some trousers and get a new size. 

MiceInRice
  • Articling Student
9 minutes ago, Big Pecker said:

As a law student/ incoming articling student, I love Spier & MacKay. Great bang for buck and with little bit of tailoring the OTR offerings look much more expensive than they are. They also give you MTM options as well as other stylistic choices like Neapolitan cut if that's more your thing. 

I have 2 Spier suits in and I'll be adding a 3rd before starting articles. Can't say enough good things about the product and the company. Also had some fit issues (due to quarantine 😄) and they were super helpful in allowing me to exchange some trousers and get a new size. 

Thanks, I've been to SuitSupply in the past but Spier & MacKay seems to be a better price for a similar product. Love the name btw haha.

• 1 month later...
LoganRoy
  • Articling Student

Any suggestions for where to get tuxedos? I have a black tie event on the way and I'm not sure where I should be looking to get ready for it 

• 4 weeks later...
HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
On 5/2/2022 at 10:02 AM, LoganRoy said:

Any suggestions for where to get tuxedos? I have a black tie event on the way and I'm not sure where I should be looking to get ready for it 

Depending on your time frame, Indochino might be a decent option. They regularly have sales and you will likely get a better fitting and higher quality tux than you would otherwise. Also consider just renting one, as I cannot imagine how you would be wearing a tuxedo often during law school.

• 4 weeks later...
Ice
  • Law Student

Just wanted to say that through my personal experience and those of others I've spoken with, Indochino is NOT a very good option for the sticker price you're paying.

I found that the quality of the suits weren't very good for the price I was paying, with an overall cheap suit type feel. The customer service (online) was also quite poor.

I would personally recommend going with Oliver Wicks, its a similar price point, but the quality of the suits is SO much better, and the customer service is 10/10. There's short video tutorials to help with your measurement, and mine was extremely close to a perfect fit when it arrived (5 ish weeks). They also cover Tailor costs of up to 100 dollars if you want to make final adjustments yourself, and also include a little booklet for your tailor to check off on the adjustments made so they can update your measurements on their side so that the next time you order from them, it'll be as precise as your most recent suit jacket and pants. Really can't recommend it enough especially over Indochino 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 9:02 AM, LoganRoy said:

Grafting off of this, I also have a black tie event coming up. I am renting a tux, but would like to buy a shirt. 

Assuming I got a non-pleated tuxedo shirt which could be fastened with regular buttons is there any reason I couldn’t wear the same with my court robes? Ie is a non-pleated tuxedo shirt different than a Court shirt, they look similar to me except for the French cuffs, which I believe are acceptable with court robes (tell me if I am wrong). 

I can justify the cost better if I know I will be able to wear the shirt more than once.

Forever Curious
  • Law Student

I have like no clue about anything to do with suits, does anyone have any Vancouver-specific places to shop/tailors for suits?

• 1 year later...
toby1994
  • Law Student

If someone needs to buy a suit in Toronto and needs it in three weeks, where should they go?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 12:49 AM, toby1994 said:

If someone needs to buy a suit in Toronto and needs it in three weeks, where should they go?

Moores, the Bay, TipTop Tailors are fine for student interviews, can be tailored quickly, and are affordable options

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
enpassant
  • Law School Admit

This is perhaps a silly question, but is it a good idea to purchase some suits before 1L (I currently do not own any)? If so, where would you suggest I go, in and around the GTA that is somewhat affordable? 

LMP
  • Law Student

You'll need a suit in law school. Interview, summer job, clinics, networking events. It is a worthwhile and necessary investment. 

Everyone will have different thoughts on where to go shopping for a suit. I got a couple of nicer ones when I started law school but really any standard suit will do (though I'd stick to Navy or charcoal). I think any outlet store will have a good selection for a reasonable price. I know people who also advocate for Indochina or suitsupply as low cost options. 

• Like 1

LMP
  • Law Student
Just now, enpassant said:

@LMP

Do you think getting a custom-tailored suit is necessary?

Not at all. Honestly you probably won't even wear a suit to work (beyond appearances at court or your first day). And interviewers don't really care what type of suit you have. 

I got nicer suits because I like em. It had no impact on my intevriews or work. Just get things that fit you and aren't too outlandish in colour or matierals.

• Like 1

Byzantine
  • Law Student

You should get a suit, but one will be enough. I second the suggestion for navy or charcoal. Before 1L, I went to suitsupply and got a charcoal suit for about $700 that’s served me well.

• Like 1

scooter
  • Law Student
46 minutes ago, enpassant said:

My personal approach would be to buy a suit off the rack, but with the help of someone who can make sure it fits well. This will get you like 80-90% of the way there, and then pay $100 or whatever to have it tailored so the pants and sleeves are the right length, maybe they also adjust the jacket a bit elsewhere, etc. 

3 hours ago, enpassant said:

@LMP

You don't need a custom/tailor suit but you probably do need some tailoring. As a student, I recommend buying from the Bay or Banana Republic, when they have sales, and taking it to a tailor to get the little details like length and fit nailed down. There was a guy in my class who went custom at Harry Rosen for 1L recruit and struck out both 1L and 2L recruit and only got something for articling. Law firms know you are a student and cannot afford nice suits for interview. It's a different story when you work there though.

If you can afford it get two. I had someone spill something on my one suit at a firm reception and I had interviews the next morning. I was able to get most of the stains out but not all unfortunately. No one said anything at my interviews the next day but I was super conscious of the stains throughout.

• Like 1