E-Book versions of textbooks

jetblack

jetblack
  • Law School Admit

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for responding. I'm just wondering if the e-book versions of textbooks are allowed during exams? I much prefer to read from my screen and am wondering if buying the textbook digitally (from the YU website) will be downloadable, and thus ok to use during exams. 

Thanks again.

AllRise
  • Law Student

I am placing myself firmly in the old-fashioned category, but I generally recommend physical textbooks unless you are absolutely dead-set on a digital copy. You can do more with a physical copy. You can write in it, you can sell it, you don't have to worry if you will end up with a professor who doesn't allow digital textbooks, etc. 

Byzantine
  • Law Student

Hopefully someone can chime in about Osgoode in particular, but at my school e textbooks weren’t allowed during exams. Despite that I preferred them since I liked doing the readings on my laptop and not having to lug a textbook around. Generally you’re not going to need to look at your textbook during an exam anyways. 

Sacamano
  • Law Student

E-books are allowed in exams at Osgoode (at least have been for me throughout my time there in all classes). I would also argue they are far more helpful than a physical textbook, if in the case of an emergency during an exam where you need to reference something specific, the ability to control F is hugely advantageous to flipping through pages. Not to mention when building summaries or taking notes, the ability to copy and paste into docs, rather than typing manually, is also a bit of a time saver.

• Like 1

StephenToast
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, jetblack said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for responding. I'm just wondering if the e-book versions of textbooks are allowed during exams? I much prefer to read from my screen and am wondering if buying the textbook digitally (from the YU website) will be downloadable, and thus ok to use during exams. 

Thanks again.

Whether the book is downloadable or not depends on the publisher, and whether you'll be allowed to use your digital textbook depends on your prof. My 1L Crim and Contract exams at Osgoode were completely open book, while my Tort, PubCon, and LP2 were "semi-open" through the Examplify software. We were allowed to bring our notes and access material stored on our laptops offline, but not online. The Osgoode bookstore warns you that some e-textbooks can only be accessed while you have an internet connection.

https://www.bookstore.yorku.ca/site_osgoode.asp

Special note: Please note that eBooks cannot be accessed during open book exams; this applies even if access to your hard drive is permitted in an exam. The reason is because eBooks are accessed online, but internet access is disabled during exams. Please keep this in mind when deciding whether to purchase paper copies or electronic copies of your textbooks. If a course has an open-book exam and you expect to use your textbook during the exam, you will need a paper copy of the textbook.

99problems
  • Lawyer

During the time that the exams were remote, we had access to basically anything. But I do not think you can access your e-books because the exam application (ExamSoft) locks your computer and also you are not allowed to have any other electronic devices with you. You can double-check with Osgoode (Mya Rimon).

One more thing: you do not want to have your textbooks in the exam. What you want is your summary, which you can print. I have never seen anyone using the actual textbook in any exam.

halamadrid
  • Law Student

We were able to access e-books while using ExamSoft. Thing is, I don't think I know of anyone who actually used the course textbook, whether physical or digital, during the exam. Your summary will probably suffice plus time is not on your side in law school exams. 

P.S. any upper years know where to get Digital versions of textbooks....for free? 😏

3 minutes ago, halamadrid said:

We were able to access e-books while using ExamSoft. Thing is, I don't think I know of anyone who actually used the course textbook, whether physical or digital, during the exam. Your summary will probably suffice plus time is not on your side in law school exams. 

P.S. any upper years know where to get Digital versions of textbooks....for free? 😏

Why do people expect digital content to be free but will pay hundreds for a physical copy? Such a cognitive bias.  On an unrelated note, PM me to buy the digital copy of my Tax textbook.