NCA Courses Instead of NCA Exams

Staying Alive

Staying Alive
  • NCA Candidate

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance if this was already discussed (I tried to look, but could not find it)

I graduated from the UK last year (2021) and I have failed my Equity class. I passed everything else.  I was still able to graduate, but I did not receive a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD). Just a plain old LL.B degree, instead. I want to practice in Canada. 

- Instead of taking the NCA exams, can I take all of the subjects by in-class?

- Are the universities offering them online? (I guess it depends on the university)

- How much do the classes cost? (I guess it depends on the university)

- Which universities are recognized by the NCAs? 

- How long is each course?

- Do I need a certain GPA and/or LSAT score? Maybe even a PS?

Thank you for clarifying. 

• 8 months later...
Iwias
  • NCA Candidate

Sorry it has taken so long for anyone to respond!

On 8/17/2022 at 9:00 AM, Staying Alive said:

I graduated from the UK last year (2021) and I have failed my Equity class. I passed everything else.  I was still able to graduate, but I did not receive a Qualifying Law Degree (QLD). Just a plain old LL.B degree, instead. I want to practice in Canada. 

Did you get assessed by the NCA already? If so, they will likely determine whether your degree will be granted any recognition and/or the additional examinations (the normal is 5 for folks coming from common law jurisdictions, but it depends).

- Instead of taking the NCA exams, can I take all of the subjects by in-class?

For sure, once you obtain an NCA assessment, you can decide whether to challenge exams, take approved courses at local universities, or both. The latter is easily 10x more expensive but will exempt you from having to take the exam on your own. Also, not every single law school out there has a specific program for NCA Candidates, or is willing to allow the latter to cherry pick a few courses.

- Are the universities offering them online? (I guess it depends on the university)

UBC and York (Osgoode) to the best of my knowledge.

- How much do the classes cost? (I guess it depends on the university)

Easily an arm and leg, aka $6-8K per 5 credit course.

- Which universities are recognized by the NCAs? 

None if you are referring to NCA approved universities abroad (I know Bond university in Australia had something going, but no longer the case). In Canada, there are a select few law schools that cater to NCA Candidates.

- How long is each course?

Semester (4 month).

- Do I need a certain GPA and/or LSAT score? Maybe even a PS?

Depends on the type of program and law school. For sure, you don't need to take the LSAT for a NCA tailored program. If you go that route, might as well apply for a JD program (again).

• Like 3