How big an impact will an award from UofC make on admissions here?

stressed2001

stressed2001

Hey all,

I'm a bit stressed about the holistic nature of UofC's admissions, but I recently received an award from the school and I'm wondering if that will make any kind of significant impact on my application.

Thanks

IllegalIllEagle
  • Applicant

Received an award for undergrad or for the law program? The holistic nature, if anything, gives you a more well rounded chance as an applicant.

I chose to attend with a 3.95 and 170 lsat, but had a much more complete package beyond just those stats (tons of work and extracurriculars). The thing to keep in mind with any school is that there are going to be tons of applicants that fall within the main deviations, what sets YOU apart? Holistic or not, this is important.

• Like 1

stressed2001
17 hours ago, IllegalIllEagle said:

Received an award for undergrad or for the law program? The holistic nature, if anything, gives you a more well rounded chance as an applicant.

I chose to attend with a 3.95 and 170 lsat, but had a much more complete package beyond just those stats (tons of work and extracurriculars). The thing to keep in mind with any school is that there are going to be tons of applicants that fall within the main deviations, what sets YOU apart? Holistic or not, this is important.

Thanks for the response. I received the award for undergrad, for academic merit within my department. Outside of that, I'm applying with a 3.895 and a 176, with one year of work experience (part time during my undergrad) and minimal volunteering. As for what sets me apart, I'm really not sure - I'm trying to figure that out as I work through my personal statements. 

AllRise
  • Law Student
17 minutes ago, stressed2001 said:

Thanks for the response. I received the award for undergrad, for academic merit within my department. Outside of that, I'm applying with a 3.895 and a 176, with one year of work experience (part time during my undergrad) and minimal volunteering. As for what sets me apart, I'm really not sure - I'm trying to figure that out as I work through my personal statements. 

The 176 sets you apart. 

• Like 1

With a 176/3.9, have you considered applying to HYS? Those are extremely strong stats. I know I might sound like a dick but I don't see why you would stress about UofC (you're basically 100% in btw) when you legitimately have a chance at Yale, let alone a solid scholarship with some of the T6 schools.

Edited by helloall
  • Like 1

stressed2001
7 minutes ago, helloall said:

With a 176/3.9, have you considered applying to HYS? Those are extremely strong stats. I know I might sound like a dick but I don't see why you would stress about UofC (you're basically 100% in btw) when you legitimately have a chance at Yale, let alone a solid scholarship with some of the T6 schools.

I don't have the money to pay if I can't get a scholarship unfortunately, and I've also heard that I shouldn't go to the states if I'm planning on practicing in Canada anyways (my entire extended family is based in Canada)

19 minutes ago, stressed2001 said:

I don't have the money to pay if I can't get a scholarship unfortunately, and I've also heard that I shouldn't go to the states if I'm planning on practicing in Canada anyways (my entire extended family is based in Canada)

Fair enough. High tuition is definitely a consideration, but I would still consider applying to some of the T6 schools if you can.

What kind of law are you interested in?

stressed2001
20 minutes ago, helloall said:

Fair enough. High tuition is definitely a consideration, but I would still consider applying to some of the T6 schools if you can.

What kind of law are you interested in?

Right now, I'm really interested in intellectual property/copyright law 

IllegalIllEagle
  • Applicant

I'm gonna be honest, i'm shocked you created this thread wondering the impact a scholarship would have when you're walking around with a 176, that is a job well done. 

That said, it is a bit foolish to worry about entry into nearly any school in Canada (barring McGill maybe)

I also made the tough decision of staying in Canada, ultimately rejecting several t20 full ride offers in the states (some with stipends as well), but it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you know (as I did) that you want to work here. If I could go back a year, I would have saved the boat load of money at the time I spent on applications before I knew. That said, if you're on the fence, it would still be worthwhile applying.

Congrats on unreal stats, I look forward to having you at the school in a year 🙂