Less Obvious School Supplies That Have Helped You.

Constantine

Constantine
  • Law School Admit

I know this is a really basic question. However, are there any school supplies that you've found indispensable in law school? 

Of course, I'm aware of the most obvious items (a good computer, paper, pens pencils etc.). But what about items that are less likely to come to a students mind? Something like a Book Opener or something similar. I've been out of academia for a while, so I'm basically going off of what helped me at my desk job and during my undergraduate studies. 

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

Some people swear by a textbook stand so you don’t have to keep your head tilted straight down all the time. I never had one, but I thought about it.

A second monitor to connect to your laptop when you’re at home is a major QOL improvement. For assignments, you can have research on one monitor and your word document open on the other. Or a digital textbook and a word document for notes, if that’s your style. Lots of utility, would highly recommend.

• Like 3

TheJoker
  • Lawyer

^ a big monitor was such a huge help - I honestly don’t know how I did my entire undergrad with my MacBook screen!
I’d also recommend a hard drive to back your computer on to (you can get them for a decent price off Amazon). The number of horror stories I heard from fellow classmates about computers breaking made me glad I had one. 

• Like 2

OntheVerge
  • Lawyer

I had a few book weights which worked great for the thick, leather bound law texts. Made reading the damn books easier, as well as writing papers when you needed to keep the  book open to accurately cite. Mine were made from a sticky material so they didn't slide down the pages easily, which I preferred, but a friend got leather wrapped ones which were easier to move on the pages. 

I also had a stand for thinner,/flexible bound books to hold them open, which was great for writing papers but not for reading assignments. 

Only other thing I had that made law school better was a leak-proof, travel mug. I'd fill it up with coffee from home, then toss it in my bag until my evening classes and it was still scalding hot. 

Oh, and it's very handy to have a suit or an outfit all set for moots, events, interviews, etc. before term starts. Once classes begin, you'll be busy and the last thing you'll want to do is be searching for an outfit mid-term. Have something ready to go, including socks and shoes, so you don't need to panic when you decide to attend a last minute event that requires business attire. 

• Like 2

cjs
  • Law Student

I found a portable second screen to be really helpful in undergrad.  It can also function as a third screen at home if needed.  It wasn't essential by any means but I did find it quite helpful.

Edited by cjs
Clarity

goosie
  • Lawyer

Pretty sure this has been mentioned in other threads, but having an ergonomic chair/backrest was HUGE for me. Highly recommend

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Constantine
  • Law School Admit

Hey all. Thanks for all the great advice. I got myself a book stand and dusted off an old monitor that I’ll use when I need it. I also checked to see if a suit I got a year ago still fits and luckily it does. 

• Like 1

Icarus
  • Lawyer

Standing desk and external monitors! I can't believe I did all of law school on laptop and my neck/posture regrets it

here are the other things I liked having while studying in law school: 

1. Fancy highlighters 

2. Transparent stickynotes (You stick them on and you can write and annotate) 

3. Buying one might not be worth it but my cousin had a book binding machine that I used from time to time and I wouldn't have been able to survive law school without it

4. Locker shelves (if you have a locker) 

5. A mug 

6. Ipad ( I used mine to take notes instead of carrying my laptop everywhere) 

• Like 1