Externship Dilemma

Billy

Billy
  • Applicant

Hello all, 

I am in a bit of a dilemma here. I can't make up my mind and would love to hear outside thoughts about this. This semester, I have a chance to extern at a legal clinic but it is fully remote. However, during the winter term, I could have a chance to apply for an in person externships but they are currently tentative.

Could you please share your insights on what it would feel like doing a fully remote externship compared to an in person extern. Thank you! 

Whist
  • Law Student

Just to clarify, you're entering 1L and have an opportunity for a legal clinic spot that expects a commitment for the whole year, but for the Winter term you know there are more clinic applications that will open you might want instead?

It's impossible to say without knowing whether they're open entry clinics or whether it's a competitive application to get in. But I think it's in general safer to run with the opportunity you're already promised rather than rely on something you're not sure you'll get. You don't know if the Winter term applications will even be available, much less whether you'll land one. As a 1L you won't be doing any heavy duty work at either of them, but still, it's best to consider whether the remote position is in an area you think you might be interested in. I've done clinic work both in person and remote (shifted because of the pandemic). Remote can be convenient on a cold winter day or to avoid a long commute, but in-person feels less isolating and getting mentorship/advice is easier. However, it really depends on your own work style. I personally prefer getting to work in-person with WFH days from time to time.

Depending on the time commitment, it might be possible to do both clinics if the opportunity winds up there, so consider that option as well.