What made you go into law?

Dee

Dee
  • Applicant

(My LSAT score comes out tomorrow morning; I won't be sleeping so I need something to keep me busy!)

• Like 3

Liavas
  • Law School Admit

I want to be Britney Spears' lawyer. (The fact that I think law happens to suit the skills I already have and would develop them further, making it an ideal career for me, is of no consequence.)

Edited by Liavas
  • LOL 1

StephenToast
  • Law School Admit

I realized that I didn't want to stay in academia and wanted to doing something more "obviously useful," and law seemed like the closest thing to history that I could do with a reasonable level of financial stability.

• Like 2

ThreeWhiteLights
  • Law Student

I wanted to spend my life working with logical people. 

Oh what a fallacy I have committed...  

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

ZukoJD
  • Law School Admit

I wanted to bring a lawsuit against my father and his regime that led the fire nation into its darkest age.... 

But really, something like what Liavas said, plus aspirations to maybe one day influence policy and do interesting work in a field that I care about. 

I also liked that law seemed to have many more career paths and greater upward mobility than teaching, which I was strongly considering around the time I applied. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

Academia was too boring. I liked the practicality of the law 

• Like 1

woahnelly
  • Law Student

I was required to take an introductory law course as part of my undergrad major, and while dreading it (thought it was going to be so boring), I ended up really enjoying it and that sparked the interest. I took another law course as an elective in my undergrad and it sealed the deal! I liked all the details and specifics, and just learning about how laws and legal rules that exist today came about. Because I didn't have any other path of particular interest to me at the time, I figured law school would provide a variety of options open to me.

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Law Student

Somehow got through undergrad with straight A's while drinking up to five times a week. Figured I was made for law school. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

Civil2Common
  • Articling Student
19 hours ago, StephenToast said:

I realized that I didn't want to stay in academia and wanted to doing something more "obviously useful," and law seemed like the closest thing to history that I could do with a reasonable level of financial stability.

Very much similar to my own reasons. Decided academia (specifically history) wouldn't be the best choice for me (financially, opportunity-wise, etc.) and a law degree seemed like a good choice/alternative. Wasn't sure what to expect but I very much enjoyed my time at law school and am now in a field that I love. 

• Like 2

• Lawyer

I wanted to be in a position of power and have the necessary tools where my voice mattered, was heard, and could help bring a positive change to society or individual lives. So far, I have not been disappointed for the most part. 

• Like 1

aceattorney
  • Law Student

I played a video game for the Nintendo DS called Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

The game was fun, so I thought I'd step up the difficulty level and become an Ace Attorney in real life.

• Like 4
  • LOL 9

Disbarred
  • Law Student

I felt really lost in high school, I always did well in science and math, but found it incredibly boring. When I took grade 11 law I was drawn in by the idea of working in a difficult field, that required a lot of thinking, but wasn’t math or science. 

• Like 2

MOL
  • Lawyer

Was plowing through a thoroughly mediocre undergrad performance wise. For whatever reason, ripped a killer lsat which meant that I didn't have to go back to digging/cutting grass/hanging drywall for a living. 

• Like 7

Twenty
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, Jaggers said:

I had a friend who went to law school, and she seemed to like it.

Given that I have such mercurial feelings towards law school, I sometimes wonder if I push away or entice my friends from considering law school.

I chose law school because the idea of advocating as a career seemed fantastic. Even though I was aware that lawyering didn't entail a lot of court time, I knew that criminal lawyers still had their healthy share of courtroom advocacy and I was convinced that I wanted to be a criminal lawyer. Feeling like I had to "just keep going and not stop", I jumped into law school with that in mind. Turns out, vicarious trauma in the criminal law field is a thing, and I don't want to expose myself to any of that whatsoever (I thought I did, but nope). So now, my plans have shifted, but I discovered that I like legal research and still want to litigate, so I'm hopeful I'll make something work.

I also liked how law didn't seem to suffer from ageism, as opposed to what I've been told about other fields. However, in retrospect, I shouldn't have given this as much weight as I did - many people leave the profession before ageism (or lack thereof) considerations become relevant. 

I also wanted to help individuals, as opposed to corporations. But now I'm indifferent about this, and may even have a preference working on non-personal issues. I thought helping individuals (as opposed to serving corporations) would be the "better" moral option, but that was a very overly simplistic view.

Edited by Twenty
  • Like 3

Jaggers

I really didn't think about it that much. My friend liked law school, so I started thinking about it, then she got a clerkship at the Supreme Court, and I was like "you can get super cool jobs like that by going to law school?!?" so I went. Sadly, I did not follow in her path. I had no idea what being a lawyer entailed other than that, and what you see in the movies.

• Like 1

Aschenbach
  • Law Student

Went into law school cause this guy I was crushing on so hard was a lawyer and I wanted to be able to talk to him about his career. Turns out I actually enjoy law school and so far enjoying what legal work I've done as a summer student.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Twenty
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Aschenbach said:

Went into law school cause this guy I was crushing on so hard was a lawyer and I wanted to be able to talk to him about his career. Turns out I actually enjoy law school and so far enjoying what legal work I've done as a summer student.

This has legally blonde vibes and I support it.

@Jaggers That's pretty cool. Having a friend who clerked at the SCC would definitely entice me to look into law too.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Civil2Common
  • Articling Student
7 hours ago, aceattorney said:

I played a video game for the Nintendo DS called Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

The game was fun, so I thought I'd step up the difficulty level and become an Ace Attorney in real life.

I might have purchased that game before starting law school to "get into the legal mood" before starting. 🤪

Game never really stuck with me though, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Rearden
  • Lawyer

The intellectual challenge and the (potentially) higher salary ceiling.

• Like 1

I was standing a watch at like 3am with a guy who had every kind of bodily fungus you can imagine, waiting to get yelled at for something stupid.

And I decided that if I was going to have a career involving being permanently tired and disgruntled I might as well get paid a lawyers salary. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Liavas
  • Law School Admit
37 minutes ago, LMP said:

I was standing a watch at like 3am with a guy who had every kind of bodily fungus you can imagine, waiting to get yelled at for something stupid.

And I decided that if I was going to have a career involving being permanently tired and disgruntled I might as well get paid a lawyers salary. 

This is a mood. I'm not comparing what I did to LMP's level, but my first work experience involved a lot of outdoor physical labour, and then I switched to customer service that also required lots of lifting. I passionately hated every job I've ever had. It got my ass in gear to at least get one degree so I could qualify for an office career. (My body has worn down in ways that mean I can't do labour anymore, anyway). Then I figured hey, I think I'd be good at something like law school if I kept going. And if I hate that job too, at least I'll be paid better to do it.

• Like 1