OCI 2022: Osgoode Edition

LMP

Just now, FellowTraveler said:

Then I guess that means I don't have any ITCs! If they're formal and binding, why even bother with call day at that point?

I've found some of them aren't that formal. 

For example, one that I got literally said, verbatim, "Hey LMP, what's your number, we're going to contact you". 

Where as another laid things out very directly and seemed to be expecting a response. 

But I wouldn't worry about ITCs at this point, it seems only a fraction have gone out. 

As for why firms bother, I didn't quite get it either and figured it was just a way to indicate to a candidate that the firm was interested. But someone was telling me today that some people get more in-firm offers than they want to accept, so the ITCs can also act as a chance for very popular candidates to reject secondary interviews and free firms up to pursue more interested candidates.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Firms send ITCs so that candidates know they will be getting contacted and can sort out what firms to accept or refuse ahead of time. They still need to call because the LSO rules prohibit them from communicating the date and time of interviews before call day. 

I would really advise students going through this process to read the LSO recruitment procedure site. It lays out all of the rules and will help you understand why the recruit plays out the way it does. 

• Like 1

FellowTraveler
  • Law Student
11 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Firms send ITCs so that candidates know they will be getting contacted and can sort out what firms to accept or refuse ahead of time. They still need to call because the LSO rules prohibit them from communicating the date and time of interviews before call day. 

I would really advise students going through this process to read the LSO recruitment procedure site. It lays out all of the rules and will help you understand why the recruit plays out the way it does. 

Knowing the rules isn't the issue. This arbitrary distinction between what firms can communicate in an ITC versus a phone call exists because, as you've helpfully pointed out, the rules say so. It's not clear it furthers either of the Procedure 'purposes', and is arguably the worst solution out of the three basic options regarding communication. (Never mind that proposing this would get you laughed off any of the hiring committees I've sat on, outside of maybe the federal government.)

user98765432110
  • Law Student

Is it possible to receive an ITC from a firm days after some Osgoode students have already received ITCs from that firm? 

Edited by user98765432110

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
24 minutes ago, user98765432110 said:

Is it possible to receive an ITC from a firm days after some Osgoode students have already received ITCs from that firm? 

Yes, although it’s probably an indication you were lower on their list.

• Like 1

omigone
  • Law Student
24 minutes ago, IacobucciFanGirl said:

Did anyone hear from Cassels or Osler? 

Osler ITCs went out last week!

• Like 1

LawStudent2011
  • Law Student

Has anyone heard from any of these firms? Kinda just want to be put out of my misery T_T

Bennett Jones, McCarthy, Thomson Rogers, Torkin Manes, Wildeboer, McMillan, Shearman?

Turtles
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, LawStudent2011 said:

Has anyone heard from any of these firms? Kinda just want to be put out of my misery T_T

Bennett Jones, McCarthy, Thomson Rogers, Torkin Manes, Wildeboer, McMillan, Shearman?

My understanding is McMillan and Wildeboer came out same day/next day of OCIs and BJ came out earlier this week.

lawstudent232323
  • Law Student

anyone hear from Miller Thomson? Other schools have gotten ITCs. is it safe to assume its a no if you havent heard anything ?

Edited by lawstudent232323