reference letters- are they really not required?

lawstudentss

lawstudentss
  • Applicant

Hello,

I see on the UNB site that reference letters are not required for the application. I was wondering if thats really true, or if not submitting reference letters would be a disadvantage?  (not applying access/discretionary and stats are roughly estimated 3.7-3.8 with 25% drops and 170 lsat) 

Edited by lawstudentss

28 minutes ago, lawstudentss said:

Hello,

I see on the UNB site that reference letters are not required for the application. I was wondering if thats really true, or if not submitting reference letters would be a disadvantage?  (not applying access/discretionary and stats are roughly estimated 3.7-3.8 with 25% drops and 170 lsat) 

If they say not required, don't try and second guess it. 

Also with your stats you'll probably be accepted in the next month or two. 

shostakovich
  • Lawyer

“Letters of reference, while not required for applicants in the Regular category, are useful when conducting supplementary review and determining eligibility for general scholarships”. (emphasis mine)

My two cents:

1. If you’re not from the east coast, they could be useful. Your stats are great, but there are no guarantees and a certain number of UNB seats are reserved for Atlantic applicants.

2. Either way, reference letters might help with scholarships.