Toronto vs Vancouver (spliced from September 2022 - Big Law Salaries?)

Jaggers

easttowest
  • Lawyer
16 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

I was joking again, but I think I'd move to a smaller city like Vancouver or Halifax before I would move to a Toronto suburb.

If you think Hamilton is a Toronto suburb you haven’t spent enough time there! I’d never live anywhere in between here and there. 

I am basically just trying to offend anyone who doesn't live in downtown Toronto at this point.

I do have a handful of friends who have moved to Hamilton. Every one hates it.

When people move to Barrie, they know they're settling for a big house but nothing to do. People think Hamilton is different, until they get there.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

JohnsonWest
  • Lawyer
On 9/15/2022 at 11:34 AM, Rashabon said:

Vancouver is super boring. I spent a lot of time there in my early 20s and my god is there nothing going on at all ever.

wonder why so many people are moving there then. must be a buncha boring people! 

22 hours ago, Hegdis said:

The attraction of Vancouver isn't just the city life - I agree other cities have more of that. The attraction of Vancouver is it's on the West Coast, right on the ocean, and all that comes with it. There's world class mountain biking (anyone who bikes knows the North Shore), incredible sailing/kyaking, and all levels of hiking, nearly all year round. If you like to live outdoors 365 days a year AND you want to get worldclass sushi at 11pm, catch an NHL game, or watch Adele in concert, Vancouver is a great place.

Other places have many of those things. But very few have all of them so close together.

If I were more of a city person - if I didn't mind being essentially indoors between November and February - I'd probably prefer Toronto. To each their own.

this is exactly it. having the ocean and mountains on your doorstep simply can't be beat. I lived in Toronto for many years as well, it's just not my cup of tea. 

Turtles
  • Law Student

In my experience, Toronto people want to move to Vancouver for the green space and more peaceful vibes (outside dt). Vancouver people want to move to Toronto for the higher salaries and better career opportunities. Nobody wants to move to Montreal but are keen to visit to party.

Grass is always greener kind of thing.

• Like 3

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, Turtles said:

In my experience, Toronto people want to move to Vancouver for the green space and more peaceful vibes (outside dt). Vancouver people want to move to Toronto for the higher salaries and better career opportunities. Nobody wants to move to Montreal but are keen to visit to party.

Grass is always greener kind of thing.

Yes, Toronto sucks but people go there for work.

• Nom! 1

23 hours ago, Hegdis said:

if I didn't mind being essentially indoors between November and February - I'd probably prefer Toronto.

*cries quietly in apartment*

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, JohnsonWest said:

wonder why so many people are moving there then. must be a buncha boring people! 

this is exactly it. having the ocean and mountains on your doorstep simply can't be beat. I lived in Toronto for many years as well, it's just not my cup of tea. 

As long as all the urban amenities are also valued, and the population density doesn't put you off. If you love mountains and ocean but also like space, then lots of places beat Vancouver... (essentially the whole rest of the Coast). I have articles lined up in Vancouver but I wish the job was portable... I would much rather live somewhere like Courtenay or Powell River, where I could have the natural stuff without the crowds.

Of course, my obversations are not helpful in determining whether Toronto or Vancouver are better. I don't want to live in either, and I wish the best jobs weren't stuck there.

JohnsonWest
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, TheDevilIKnow said:

As long as all the urban amenities are also valued, and the population density doesn't put you off. If you love mountains and ocean but also like space, then lots of places beat Vancouver... (essentially the whole rest of the Coast). I have articles lined up in Vancouver but I wish the job was portable... I would much rather live somewhere like Courtenay or Powell River, where I could have the natural stuff without the crowds.

Of course, my obversations are not helpful in determining whether Toronto or Vancouver are better. I don't want to live in either, and I wish the best jobs weren't stuck there.

Those are beautiful places to live as well though Powell River is far nicer than Courtenay. 

I like big cities, and in the medium amount of time I was there (two months is not enough to understand a city really, but it's not a vacation either), Vancouver struck me as a little sleepy. But if I had my druthers and could get a job, I'd move to Tokyo, Paris or London. Not New York, as I'm not big on the US in general.

• Like 2

Talleyrandophile
  • Lawyer
21 hours ago, JohnsonWest said:

Those are beautiful places to live as well though Powell River is far nicer than Courtenay. 

Yeah, the fact that they get contained in the same sentence as roughly comparable... 

TheDevilIKnow
  • Articling Student
21 hours ago, JohnsonWest said:

Powell River is far nicer than Courtenay. 

28 minutes ago, Talleyrandophile said:

Yeah, the fact that they get contained in the same sentence as roughly comparable... 

Weird. I prefer Powell River as well, but I've never heard anyone else speak positively of it. Genuinely surprised that there seems to be a consensus that PR is nicer than Courtenay.

• 4 months later...
PzabbytheLawyer
  • Lawyer

As someone who's lived in Toronto and Montreal, and has been flirting with Vancouver for 5 years now, the argument in this thread matches the argument usually going on in my head.