A thread to vent toxicity about litigation (or law generally) when you've had a bad day

TheBadLawyer

TheBadLawyer
  • Lawyer

One of the things that just starts to grind you down about this field of work is the general level of assholism you have to deal with. When it comes from clients, it's somewhat more expected and tolerable (it helps that many of my clients have the excuse of FASD and objectively sad lives) than when it comes from others. It's no one thing, but it does feel like death by a thousand cuts - an asshole judge who thinks his position entitles him to torment people for his own amusement, a smug Crown who takes unreasonable positions and is a condescending ass while doing so, etc. God, this fucking job...

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
epeeist
  • Lawyer

Lack of judicial resources = trial later this year for which date was set last year (and the original trial date years prior falling during Covid of course was adjourned), will be adjourned again...

Even for motions, I'm PT so don't do much but read recently that contested motions > 15 minutes in Toronto may wait a year or more to be heard? I bounced that off some civil litigators I know who weren't surprised, but wondering if anyone's experience to the contrary (for matters that unfortunately can't really be termed urgent).