Should I switch to a BA in general studies?

drakefangirl

drakefangirl
  • Undergrad

Hi everyone,

I am currently doing a BBA and I have a 3.4 cgpa. I have a couple BBA classes that I know will lower my gpa because they involve math and I already failed math first year but ended up passing he next time around. I do not want to take the chance of failing or getting a low grade on these courses. So my question is should I switch to a BA in general studies? I know it sounds stupid to switch from a BBA to BA in general studies but I have really been getting serious about law school and it is something I really want to pursue. Do law schools care about what degree I did and will they think its sus that I went from doing a BBA to BA in general studies. I know that law schools will drop a couple credits if I end up doing terrible in those classes but I genuinely feel like I will never be able to pass those classes because of my abilities in math! I already have a 3.4cpga which isn't the best and with a general studies degree I'll be able to take gpa boosters. Also a BA in general studies won't extend my degree any longer because I will already be taking 5 years for my undergrad.

Thank you for your time and help, I appreciate any feed back. 

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
6 hours ago, Lilbb19 said:

what degree you have is irrelevant for law school applications.

https://www.uwindsor.ca/law/343/our-admissions-criteria

Windsor cares about your program. 

https://www.law.utoronto.ca/jd-admissions-policies 

UofT cares about your program as well.

OP, also consider the outcome if you don't get into law school. Getting good grades for your application is important, but I hope you plan for some backups. I'm not sure about the employability of a BBA or general BA, but speak to the employment advisors at your university. 

Edited by erin otoole
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Lilbb19 said:

what degree you have is irrelevant for law school applications.

While I agree with this, a BBA seems like it would be a better backup if you do'nt get into law school. It would also make you a better candidate for law school summer positions.  HOWEVER if your ultimate goal is law school, make sure your GPA with a BBA won't shut that door for you permanently. 

Edited by hiccups
  • Like 1

epeeist
  • Lawyer

@drakefangirl I think there are some people here (not me!) who've served on admission committees, they would have the best advice for how it worked at their school.

I think the consensus (from my memory of past threads, don't rely on me or past advice generally!) has been, grades matter most, program matters much less. So take two students with equal grades and one was in a program that is perceived (rightly or wrongly) as more difficult/prestigious/diverse/whatever would be favoured. But the person with a higher grade even in a commonplace boring program would be more likely to get admitted. So in theory, if one knew that changing programs would improve one's grades it might be worth it, and conversely if one knew that a particular "prestigious" program would be difficult for one to get good grades in, that would be a reason to avoid it.

Of course this is complicated by, one may not be able to predict what one will find it easier to get good or bad grades in, what if one ends up not going to law school, which degree will be better, if one gets in to law school later even with a lower grade will the more "impressive" degree be useful later, etc. 

• Like 1