Lawyers, do you have a side... Volunteer role?

AllWellAndGood

AllWellAndGood
  • Lawyer

Hi all,

I was reflecting on the earlier thread about side gigs and I was wondering about the role that volunteering can take in the life of a lawyer and the possible issues or pitfalls to look out for.

For context, I'm a junior (1Y) at a large firm in Vancouver. Prior to law school, volunteerism was often a big part of my life, whether non-profits, advocacy, or politically. Now that I'm (barely) established as a lawyer I'm looking ahead and wondering when and how I'll volunteer some of my meager free time going forward.

Does anyone else here have volunteer commitments that they find easy or hard to manage with their careers, yet continue with? Has anyone had experiences where their volunteer cause became an issue with their firm/clients? Does anyone serve on a board for professional networking?

I'm mostly looking for examples of ways I can get engaged without disrupting my career too much, or that my firm might prefer I do, and was wondering what others here choose to do, and how they manage it with their schedules and firms.

I do a lot of volunteer work. The biggest thing is to say early and often that you aren't acting as a lawyer or giving legal advice and no one should rely on you for that sort of thing - unless that is what you're doing! I worked with a pro bono clinic on the DTES for about ten years, I've supervised a bunch of students at trial, and I'm on the Board of Directors for a community group now, in addition to some other stuff too identifiable to mention.

Volunteering is great. You are honing a skill set that is incredibly useful and should be shared if you can manage it. How often and how much is a very individual calculation. 

• Like 2

I volunteer, but mainly for one off things with no lasting commitment. 

Despite Hedgis comment, I gain zero valuable skills from it whatsoever as I’m a pure body, but the organization does something in the community I support and I’m happy to help when I can. 

Leadership roles are important in volunteer organizations, but so are grunt workers.

• Like 1

I volunteer in a couple different capacities on a regular basis - working with kids and serving in my church. It can be a lot during busy seasons but I wouldn't have it otherwise. It's rewarding in an entirely different way than work, and adds colour and meaning to life. I don't think I would stay in a job that swallowed my time so completely that I couldn't volunteer at all. But that's just me. 

• Like 1

cherrytree
  • Lawyer

I have a long-term commitment to a volunteer role where the work takes place completely online and can be done by myself according to my own schedule without having to follow particular shifts. Serving on a board would definitely amount to a more serious than casually doing work in a non-leadership capacity, and I'm pretty sure most private practice employers have formal policy that require lawyers to disclose their intent to serve on a board of a for-profit or not-for-profit corporation, in order to clear conflicts and preempt any potential ethical concerns, etc.

• Like 1

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

Though perhaps counter intuitive, rural communities often have a very active volunteer community. I sit on boards for housing support/homelessness, restorative justice, and my undergrad uni's council (+ subcommittees). I'm also in rotary, run a financial award for a youth leadership charity, and am a core group member in 7th Step. I do some one offs too, including mock trials for students. These commitments have varying levels of commitment, and juggling it all can be challenging. But that's a beast of my own creation. Thankfully, none of these groups create conflicts of interest for my practice (as per cherrytree's comment). 

Not-for/non-profit and charity boards love having lawyers and you'll most certainly be asked to join one at one point or another. We often take for granted the incredibly privileged position we have in our society. Our ability to read, digest, and translate into spoken word legislation and government policy is invaluable to boards (and understand bureaucratic process). We're usually good communicators and have immense social capital. And, our schedules are usually more flexible than, say, a doctor that's chained to the hospital for 12+ hour shifts. We can dip in and out of the office, arrange our calendars and take time without really having to ask for permission.

I find my volunteer work rewarding. At times when I feel the system or society in general is FUBAR, I'm reminded of the kindness and selflessness of others - and the tangible impact we can make (even if temporary). If you're interested in getting involved, touch base with groups that interest you and be clear what your commitment level can be from the beginning so as not to raise false expectations for you or them. You can always expand your engagement after you acclimate to new workload. 

• Like 1

Contract Shmontract
  • Lawyer

I am a junior lawyer at a national firm. I have a steady volunteer gig (2-3 hours/week) that has nothing to do with law. It isn’t building or developing skills that are useful for my legal practice. No professional networking benefits. I just do it because I enjoy it sometimes, but mostly because I can, and because it aligns with my values to contribute in this way.

I rarely have trouble making time for it.

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

I volunteer at 2 organizations (both non-profit), each is usually one weekend a month to 3-4 weekdays per month. I am approaching 3 years at one and 2 years at the other.

I do them for fun and as a "distraction" from my legal practice.