As a non profit where can I find pro bono lawyer in IP law? Also is there any place I can look for students who can volunteer some time for non profit work?

tank

Hi Everyone,

I am currently working with a non profit which is 100% run by volunteers. They have tasked me to look for lawyers ready to work pro bono or student who can volunteer some time to draft terms or use, research about compliance and other tech related law activities. Can anyone suggest me ways to reach out to lawyers who would be will to donate some time to the non profit. Also can students volunteer with the non profit and do some draft and other things which would create a better documents and then be given to an actual lawyer for review saving use some money in the process? Any other suggestions are welcome too. 

1. where are you located? finding an IP lawyer in ottawa is easier than in halifax.
  2. what have you done already or what have you tried?
  3. lawyers generally do pro bono work to help people or advance a cause. IP work is generally not one of these so your chances are slim.
  4. for students, maybe approach your local law school.
  5. in terms of lawyers reviewing the work a student or volunteer drafted? depends on the lawyer but that is usually how legal/law clinics are set up.
  6. overall, use the non-profit's connections to see if they know any IP lawyers or if those lawyers know any IP lawyers. contact your local law school to see if they have a clinic or program for this stuff. search for local IP firms in your area and ask them. 

@Ramesses Sorry I forgot to mention but I am located in Toronto.

I have tried contacting and emailing a few lawyers, have got no response yet.

Suggestions where can I look for in terms of law school?

I did try contacting a school through the clinic but I have not got a response yet. 

Will try to find a clinic but I am not familiar how the system works. Any direct links would be helpful

Thanks