GPA: 3.5 LSAT: 168 (expected), 3rd yr, Windsor?

backtomac

backtomac
  • Applicant

Stats are GPA of 3.5, LSAT of 166-170 expected based on PTs, and I'm in third year but I skipped second year. U of T undergrad.

I've seen on here applications being rejected with my stats (and higher stats) from Windsor, but their avg GPA is lower than mine (?) according to some sources. Do I have a shot at Windsor?

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
34 minutes ago, backtomac said:

Stats are GPA of 3.5, LSAT of 166-170 expected based on PTs, and I'm in third year but I skipped second year. U of T undergrad.

I've seen on here applications being rejected with my stats (and higher stats) from Windsor, but their avg GPA is lower than mine (?) according to some sources. Do I have a shot at Windsor?

Ok your LSAT irl is always different than your PT. But say you score 163. I would apply to your top schools - for your third year  this is because, you will be Wayyy more competitive in your final year rather than the year before. Hands down. You will definitely get in at many  schools next year - this year some schools maybe. So apply this year but to your top favourite reach schools  and if u don’t get a satisfactory offer don’t sweat it . You have the option for choice. Take it. And your gpa is decent as well and remember some schools do your CGPA, or L2 whichever is better. 

don’t sweat it - and congrats for finishing a year early 

• Like 2

backtomac
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, theroaringbadger said:

Ok your LSAT irl is always different than your PT. But say you score 163. I would apply to your top schools - for your third year  this is because, you will be Wayyy more competitive in your final year rather than the year before. Hands down. You will definitely get in at many  schools next year - this year some schools maybe. So apply this year but to your top favourite reach schools  and if u don’t get a satisfactory offer don’t sweat it . You have the option for choice. Take it. And your gpa is decent as well and remember some schools do your CGPA, or L2 whichever is better. 

don’t sweat it - and congrats for finishing a year early 

thanks for the reply! you're totally right about expecting a lower lsat score irl.
just out of curiosity, where do you think i might have a shot this year?

also thank you!

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
On 9/29/2022 at 6:52 PM, backtomac said:

thanks for the reply! you're totally right about expecting a lower lsat score irl.
just out of curiosity, where do you think i might have a shot this year?

also thank you!

I would say 163-164. You could score 170. Honestly ur grades are ur weak spot as a 3rd year. Apply discretionary to UBC maybe. But I would say apply access to every school possible. As a 3rd year the odds are really stacked against you  the safer bet would be to wait until your 4th year to apply 

backtomac
  • Applicant
16 hours ago, theroaringbadger said:

I would say 163-164. You could score 170. Honestly ur grades are ur weak spot as a 3rd year. Apply discretionary to UBC maybe. But I would say apply access to every school possible. As a 3rd year the odds are really stacked against you  the safer bet would be to wait until your 4th year to apply 

how would i qualify as an access student? because im 18?

Whist
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, backtomac said:

You're 18 years old applying to law school?

Firstly, congrats and well done on getting ahead in your undergrad studies. It's common to not score the same on an official test as on practice ones, but in any case, you have some impressive practice scores. However, I'd caution you to not apply to law school this year. AFAIK, age isn't grounds to apply access/discretionary. It's to add context to, for example, a medical condition or stressful event that might've impacted your grades. But do double check with schools of interest. It's my understanding that you can get a complete undergrad in three years in Ontario, but most people apply to law school with four. You'll be more competitive with an extra year. I also assume you'd be 19 by the time class starts next year if you got in this cycle. Even so, most people in law school are in their mid twenties, many older. I'm not saying you couldn't handle the work, but I wouldn't advise a teenager (despite being a legal adult) to jump into a community of 25+ year olds. 

Edit: civil law only schools can be different in terms of age group, but I assume you're only applying to common law ones.

Edited by Whist

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
4 hours ago, Whist said:

You're 18 years old applying to law school?

Firstly, congrats and well done on getting ahead in your undergrad studies. It's common to not score the same on an official test as on practice ones, but in any case, you have some impressive practice scores. However, I'd caution you to not apply to law school this year. AFAIK, age isn't grounds to apply access/discretionary. It's to add context to, for example, a medical condition or stressful event that might've impacted your grades. But do double check with schools of interest. It's my understanding that you can get a complete undergrad in three years in Ontario, but most people apply to law school with four. You'll be more competitive with an extra year. I also assume you'd be 19 by the time class starts next year if you got in this cycle. Even so, most people in law school are in their mid twenties, many older. I'm not saying you couldn't handle the work, but I wouldn't advise a teenager (despite being a legal adult) to jump into a community of 25+ year olds. 

Edit: civil law only schools can be different in terms of age group, but I assume you're only applying to common law ones.

5 hours ago, backtomac said:

I’m going to piggy back on this answer. To begin. Well done. Like seriously. But you are young, I would finish your fourth year. You will  appreciate it in the long run. Just keep up the good work - make sure you take the time to enjoy your undergrad as much as you can. Law school is fun yes but very very busy. You are in a very different community - but well supportive one. Being 19 I think will make a big difference. Also, I wouldn’t worry much about the age. I’m a 1L at OZ. There are many 20-21 yr olds. So I wouldn’t worry much about it. You are ahead of the curve. Because you are relatively young, law schools may appreciate if you wait an extra year to apply (ie. you apply In 4th year). Just focus on your grades, lsat and your undergrad experience. 

• Like 1