MAG interview ?

lawsttime

lawsttime
  • Law Student

Hi there folks! I received an OCI offer from the MAG Crown Office but I am unsure what to expect from a government OCI. Also, if anyone has worked within the MaG (specifically the Crown branch), can you share your experience?

Thank you!

Gamgee
  • Law Student

Are you interviewing with the Crown Law Office (appellant) or Crown Attorney's Offices? I interviewed with the Crown Attorney's Offices and prepared by reading the Crown Prosecution Manual (kept notes on key points of each directive), reviewed my 1L crim outlines (focusing on the procedure components), and found old government questions through google (I'm sure you'll find it if you search for "sample government interview questions criminal law"). I would also be familiar with most of the important SCC criminal law decisions over the past year (e.g., Brown/Sullivan, Bissonnette, Kirkpatrick). 

If I did the prep again, I would put more focus on verbally answering fact patterns. I found the interview's most challenging component was trying to remember all the elements of an offence or crim pro off the top of my head. The interview felt like an exam, with marks and timed questions. I also did not really do an "OCI" it was more one big interview and that was it. 

If you are interviewing with the Crown Law Office, I haven't interviewed there so someone else may share their experience. 

blech77
  • Law Student
On 10/2/2022 at 4:00 PM, Gamgee said:

Are you interviewing with the Crown Law Office (appellant) or Crown Attorney's Offices? I interviewed with the Crown Attorney's Offices and prepared by reading the Crown Prosecution Manual (kept notes on key points of each directive), reviewed my 1L crim outlines (focusing on the procedure components), and found old government questions through google (I'm sure you'll find it if you search for "sample government interview questions criminal law"). I would also be familiar with most of the important SCC criminal law decisions over the past year (e.g., Brown/Sullivan, Bissonnette, Kirkpatrick). 

If I did the prep again, I would put more focus on verbally answering fact patterns. I found the interview's most challenging component was trying to remember all the elements of an offence or crim pro off the top of my head. The interview felt like an exam, with marks and timed questions. I also did not really do an "OCI" it was more one big interview and that was it. 

If you are interviewing with the Crown Law Office, I haven't interviewed there so someone else may share their experience. 

I was wondering if all of this is applicable to the first informal OCI with the trial offices or is all of this substantive stuff more relevant later on during in-firms/second interviews? I have heard conflicting information and some have told me that their first OCI with the crown office was just general conversation.

ccounsel2024
  • Law Student

Had 2 Crown OCIs last week, neither were substantive. One was Crown law office (civil) and one was crown (criminal). 

I have another one in a couple of weeks and it is substantive, but they emailed me up front saying it would be substantive with certain instructions. 

Edited by ccounsel2024

Gamgee
  • Law Student
16 hours ago, blech77 said:

I was wondering if all of this is applicable to the first informal OCI with the trial offices or is all of this substantive stuff more relevant later on during in-firms/second interviews? I have heard conflicting information and some have told me that their first OCI with the crown office was just general conversation.

It seems to be region dependent, the offices I interviewed for did not have a short OCI style interview. You can always ask to clarify but it seems like from @ccounsel2024’s comment the OCI is less substantive.