Parental Leave - Toronto Big Law

braindrain

braindrain
  • Lawyer

An article in the Globe this weekend noted that Aird & Berlis recently increased their parental leave policy to 6 months paid for all (including non-birth) parents. My firm is still at 17 weeks…

Wondering if any other firms have announced changes.

Edited by braindrain

easttowest
  • Lawyer
50 minutes ago, braindrain said:

An article in the Globe this weekend noted that Aird & Berlis recently increased their parental leave policy to 6 months paid for all (including non-birth) parents. My firm is still at 17 weeks…

Wondering if any other firms have announced changes.

I noticed the same. We haven’t made that change yet, but you can sure that I’ll be asking about it. 

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

I am aware of several biglaw or Bay Street firms that are now at 6 months / gender neutral, though I think many are still at 17 weeks for birthing parents only which was previously the standard. It's mostly through word of mouth / friends of friends though so I don't feel like I can share which firms. If your firm has an associate committee you could raise this, as no doubt your talent people have a good sense of which firms are offering which benefits. 

• 8 months later...
Cityslicker
  • Lawyer

Any updates on other firms moving to 26 weeks? It seems Norton Rose, Dentons and Wildeboer have made these changes. KPMG Eu seems to have too (though not sure if KPMG Ca has as well). My firm is relying on associates to provide them with this information so if anyone can confirm the names of other firms that have made the switch it’d be much appreciated! 

AllWellAndGood
  • Lawyer

My firm still distinguishes between birth (~6 months) and non-birth (~1 month). Now changes I'm aware of.