1L Moot

torontoad

torontoad
  • Law Student

Hi all,

I'd love to hear upper year/graduate students experiences doing the 1L moot. I really want to start mooting in 1L, mainly because my public speaking needs some serious work, and I'd love some practice before trying out for upper year moots. However, I am concerned about the 1L moot being a big commitment during the first semester of law school. 

I enrolled in the Torts small group, and it includes a moot component in the winter semester. So, with all of that said, I'd love to hear about your experiences/opinions on this! Should I do it? Should I not? 

Thanks 🙂

SlytherinLLP
  • Lawyer

You'll be fine, if you're interested give it a shot. Moots are a lot of fun. 

I did a few in-house moots during 1L. Was also a caseworker at one of the clinics. It shouldn't be that much of a time commitment. Some moots provide you with factums. Others limit the issues you can argue. So really for the most part it'll be a few hours of work. With that said, it will vary from moot to moot.

• Thanks 1

Kid Presentable

Do the 1L moot. Especially if you think you might have any interest at all in doing upper-year moots. It's the best way to find out if you like it. It's a moderate time commitment but well worth it, in my experience.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
g.t._
  • Lawyer

I did the 1L moot when I was in law school. And then for two years, I helped write the problem for the 1L moot and judge it. It's such a great experience and an awesome way to figure out early if you think you'll like mooting or not. It's not that crazy a time commitment and well worth it (especially since most of your 1L peers will likely do it).  

• Thanks 1

TheCryptozoologist
  • Articling Student

60% of 1Ls did it my year. Good learning experience but I'd be too lazy to do it digitally tbh. 

• 10 months later...
Theysaidwhat
  • Law Student

I just finished 1L and did the 1L moot. 

I really enjoyed it but I think the answer will depend on how you're doing academically. The moot is a nice experience and great to add on your resume, but at the end of the day, your grades matter the most. When it's time to sign up, you should think about how much time and energy you have trying to juggle the first term of 1L (because it's a lot with ~ 7 courses) and the moot (includes writing a short factum and your oral arguments). On the bright side, if it's anything like mine, you won't have to do research for it because they will provide you the cases to be relied on. In the case that you do end up signing up for the moot, just remember that's not as important as your marks. It should be on the bottom of your to-do list so that you don't fall behind in your classes and end up regretting it in December when it's time for your midterms. 

Another consideration is partners. The moot I did required partners, which can make your experience better or worse depending on how your work styles match up. You're asked to sign up with partners quite early in the year so there's some difficulty with figuring out what your potential partner's style is. Personally, I lucked out with a partner that had the same goals as I - i.e. experience the moot but with no goals to win. Might sound strange for some, but it worked well for us because neither became frustrated when the other wasn't ready with their part and vice versa. I'm sure there were students out there that were completely on top of their work all of Oct-Nov of first year, but that wasn't me. Not having that added pressure of my partner being upset with me was helpful. We didn't win, but got to the semi-finals and are still good friends and confidants now.