Getting into Corporate without the 2L recruit?

kassgirl

kassgirl
  • Law Student

Unsuccessful in the 2L recruit, is it still possible to get a corporate summer position in Vancouver? I have been doing research but there does not seem to be many firms that did not participate in the 2L recruit but still have corporate/business/commercial real estate/etc. 

I'd reach out to some of the lawyers you connected with during the recurit. They may have leads or be willing to help you out, assuming you made a decent impression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

kassgirl
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, LMP said:

I'd reach out to some of the lawyers you connected with during the recurit. They may have leads or be willing to help you out, assuming you made a decent impression.

Already started doing this! 

There are a lot of smaller business law firms that do not do recruit in Vancouver. The exposure would be different than big firm corporate law but the experience is still very valuable. I would just search business law firms in each city in the Metro Vancouver area and email all of those. Good luck!

Edited by Ramesses
  • Thanks 1

Turtles
  • Law Student

I don't know about Vancouver, but I know in Toronto our school career services site has a number of non-OCI corporate firms that take applications beginning after interview week. Does your school have something similar? 

As an example, Singleton Toronto is one of the ones recruiting after the Toronto OCI recruit (I mention that one as I've heard Singleton Vancouver is one of the usual players in the Vancouver recruit). 

kassgirl
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, Turtles said:

I don't know about Vancouver, but I know in Toronto our school career services site has a number of non-OCI corporate firms that take applications beginning after interview week. Does your school have something similar? 

As an example, Singleton Toronto is one of the ones recruiting after the Toronto OCI recruit (I mention that one as I've heard Singleton Vancouver is one of the usual players in the Vancouver recruit). 

There doesn't seem to be, I have a meeting with our careers office on Monday. I know Singleton was part of our OCIs here in Van. Honestly there is a complete lack of any information for those of us who were unsuccessful and it can be pretty hard to swallow (on top of the blow last week lol). Law school, keepin' it toxic. 

I was reading somewhere we need to start using our "personal network", but as a first gen student with absolutely no one in my life who's a lawyer, that's a lot harder than it sounds. All the cold calling now. 

Edited by kassgirl
  • Hugs 1

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
14 hours ago, kassgirl said:

There doesn't seem to be, I have a meeting with our careers office on Monday. I know Singleton was part of our OCIs here in Van. Honestly there is a complete lack of any information for those of us who were unsuccessful and it can be pretty hard to swallow (on top of the blow last week lol). Law school, keepin' it toxic. 

I was reading somewhere we need to start using our "personal network", but as a first gen student with absolutely no one in my life who's a lawyer, that's a lot harder than it sounds. All the cold calling now. 

Cold calling is underrated. I’m also a first gen law student and so far I’ve found two legal positions through just sending emails and setting up chats. The second position was essentially created for me, just because the person I reached out to had a need but hadn’t explored any options regarding taking on students. Sometimes you need to plant a seed and water it over time before it materializes though. I think that’s a useful way to look at it at least. 

Edited by ZukoJD
  • Thanks 1