Word count on PS

Layla101

Hi!

I am finishing up my PS, but I am 10 words above the word count of 750. I was wondering if McGill is strict with the word count, and if a couple of words will penalize me. 

Thank you!

GreyDude
  • Law Student
28 minutes ago, Layla101 said:

Hi!

I am finishing up my PS, but I am 10 words above the word count of 750. I was wondering if McGill is strict with the word count, and if a couple of words will penalize me. 

Thank you!

The clear impression they give in all their presentations is that they expect applicants to follow their instructions to the letter. On the PS, they say things like "don't waste words, you only have 750," and they tell us to put the word count at the end. So, yes. I do think that it will work against you if you submit a PS that is too long.

Anyway, why would you take the chance for such a small thing? Don't let 10 words be the thing that potentially keeps you out of law school. I'm attaching what I think is the relevant text from the website. Notice that the word count is in bold.

Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 15.42.33.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 15.46.39.png

Edited by GreyDude
precision
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 3:43 PM, GreyDude said:

The clear impression they give in all their presentations is that they expect applicants to follow their instructions to the letter. On the PS, they say things like "don't waste words, you only have 750," and they tell us to put the word count at the end. So, yes. I do think that it will work against you if you submit a PS that is too long.

Anyway, why would you take the chance for such a small thing? Don't let 10 words be the thing that potentially keeps you out of law school. I'm attaching what I think is the relevant text from the website. Notice that the word count is in bold.

Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 15.42.33.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 15.46.39.png

Hi, thanks so much for your response. you are right. I will reduce the words, not worth the risk. 🙂

• Like 2