Applied Access - Not sure

biglawfirmstakeme

biglawfirmstakeme
  • Undergrad

Hello all,

So I applied access this cycle because I was a refugee when I arrived in Canada. Although I am a citizen now I claimed that I felt disadvantaged during my academic/professional career (this was only a few years back and I did not speak English when I came as a teenager).

Most schools said that even if they think my access claim is not “access” enough, I should still apply access since there is nothing to lose and my case sounded like it fits their description. 

I am a bit worried now because for most schools I applied access and regular category. I also did not upload any documents to support the claim, although I have them - most of them only “strongly encouraged” anyway. For queens, you could only pick one category and I picked access.

Does this lower my chances that I applied access? Should I call and ask them to consider me regular applicant instead if they can? 

FYI - my B2 OLSAS is 3.81 and LSAT 163.

Thanks all!

ParalegalTOLawyer
  • Applicant

Some of the schools would automatically evaluate you in the general category if you didn't meet the qualifications for access, so I would call to ask about this and it may relieve some of your anxiety about the situation. Your stats are pretty good, so I don't think you will be at a disadvantage! But you may be waiting longer for an acceptance since your application will take longer to be evaluated in access. 

• 2 weeks later...
GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student
On 11/3/2022 at 5:59 AM, biglawfirmstakeme said:

I also did not upload any documents to support the claim, although I have them - most of them only “strongly encouraged” anyway. 

If you still have the opportunity to submit documentation, I encourage you to do so. I think that schools are going to start expecting documentation even if they say it is optional. If someone doesn't have proof, a trusted professional or community leader in their lives can always supply a letter (eg. a counsellor that knows your life story, a band councillor confirming you a member of that community). 

As schools look to diversify their student bodies (and diversity doesn't only mean skin tone), I am sure that they will want some kind of confirmation that the person is not lying. Otherwise people could come up with the most inspiring story - but none of it is true. It only adds to your application by supplying evidence. 

There are some things from my life story that I would not share direct documents because of how sensitive they were, but I had my counsellor write a letter that mentioned those things. It is a way to get around sharing an unnecessary level of detail.