Does UVic accept 3rd years? Can't decipher FAQ

backtomac

backtomac
  • Applicant

According to the UVic admissions site: 

“What do I have to do to be eligible for admission?” 
present proof of having completed, with standing satisfactory to the Faculty of Law, at least the first three years (45 units) of a program leading to a degree at the University of Victoria, or the equivalent at a recognized institution; and 

and from the FAQ:

IMG_2475.thumb.png.692c004a9c09480babd3ec9159c08376.png

My question is: can you apply and be accepted as a current third year?

734bird
  • Law School Admit

yup - as long as you can show enrollment in enough courses to fulfill the above requirement (3/4 of a degree). I applied and was accepted with 23/30 courses done, currently completing 6 more and registration in one more before the deadline (which I believe is the end of June). My acceptance was just conditional on completing enough courses and maintaining my gpa.

backtomac
  • Applicant
46 minutes ago, 734bird said:

yup - as long as you can show enrollment in enough courses to fulfill the above requirement (3/4 of a degree). I applied and was accepted with 23/30 courses done, currently completing 6 more and registration in one more before the deadline (which I believe is the end of June). My acceptance was just conditional on completing enough courses and maintaining my gpa.

congrats and thank you so much for the info!!! when did you apply and when did you hear back?

734bird
  • Law School Admit

I forget exactly when I applied but it was early (I am a 2L now). I was accepted in February I believe. However, it could have been earlier but I could not show registration in my final course until then. Once I registered and sent a document showing that, I was accepted within a few days. So basically, if you apply in the regular category you will be assessed and accepted at the same time as if you had applied with a completed degree (the only caveat is I am unsure if they would wait for your T1 grades). FYI, my stats were quite high.

Edited by 734bird

• 2 weeks later...
cjs
  • Law Student

I got in with 3 years complete of a 4 year undergrad degree and it wasn’t conditional although it was fairly late in the cycle.  I also had a few random older courses (not used towards a degree) which increased the total number of credits I technically had.  Not sure if this was significant.