Looking for Summaries and Past Exams - Signa Daum Shanks

capitalttruth

capitalttruth
  • Law Student

I posted this on the old ls.ca forums but since that no longer exists I thought I'd try to ask again.

Professor Daum Shanks is moving to uOttawa this year where I will be taking torts with her. I've heard she has a unique teaching style and her exams are tough. 

Thus, I'm looking for any students who did well in her course for a summary, or if you could link me to one of her past exams, I can take a look at it and she what she expects. It would really help me out.

Thanks very much.

JustinCredible
  • Law Student
On 7/5/2021 at 6:05 AM, capitalttruth said:

I posted this on the old ls.ca forums but since that no longer exists I thought I'd try to ask again.

Professor Daum Shanks is moving to uOttawa this year where I will be taking torts with her. I've heard she has a unique teaching style and her exams are tough. 

Thus, I'm looking for any students who did well in her course for a summary, or if you could link me to one of her past exams, I can take a look at it and she what she expects. It would really help me out.

Thanks very much.

When i took the class, it was a closed book exam. You were required to memorize about 75 cases and their names and year. Her exams are not particularly tough otherwise. It is just a race to complete it. 

• 4 weeks later...
99problems
  • Lawyer

Thanks very much.

I had another course with her but not Torts, and in my opinion, she is the worst thing that can happen to a law student. But I have friends who had Torts with her, and everyone hates her. I heard that her Torts exam was not even about Torts, you are supposed to memorize cases, including insignificant details. 

unique teaching style

In my class, she kept putting students on spot and would continue asking questions until the student was wrong. Such a shit show

tralfamadorian
  • Lawyer

She's friendly and willing to help (especially in office hours), but in class, I found her intimidating. During lectures, she would put students on the spot with questions about small details and facts (ex. case dates, location where events occurred, ages of the parties, etc.), as opposed to the overall synopsis or ratio of a case. This can be challenging, especially if you tend towards reading cases for the "big picture". 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
14 minutes ago, tralfamadorian said:

This can be challenging

"Pointless" and "idiotic" would be the terms I would choose to characterize that, rather than "challenging."

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student
On 7/12/2021 at 6:43 PM, JustinCredible said:

You were required to memorize about 75 cases and their names and year.

This is asinine. I can't even imagine what pedagogical value she thinks this has

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

The funniest law school exam I ever wrote involved a significant section that contained single sentences from cases we had read. You first had to identify the case, and then you had to say what the ratio of the case was. Of course, the sentences were chosen so as to not give away the name of the parties or the ratio.

I actually recognized all the quotes immediately (which was fortunate because I never brought my textbooks to exams), but the bulk of the class spent an absurd amount of time desperately flipping through the book hoping to stumble upon the case. 

I have no idea what that professor thought she was testing, but I still laugh whenever I think about the absurdity of it all. 

QueensGrad
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Pecan Boy said:

This is asinine. I can't even imagine what pedagogical value she thinks this has

2 hours ago, CleanHands said:

"Pointless" and "idiotic" would be the terms I would choose to characterize that, rather than "challenging."

This is just another in a long list of examples supporting the two hypotheses that (a) the best academics do not make the best teachers, and (b) a professional school should probably focus on providing students with the best teachers, not the best academics. 

capitalttruth
  • Law Student

Quite fortuitously, due to a personal scheduling issue I had to switch into a different scheduling block. I will no longer be taking torts with Professor Daum Shanks!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1