Lawyers who graduated into recession

TooYoung

TooYoung
  • Articling Student

While I'm no economist, it's looking like I'll be graduating into a recession at the end of this academic year. 

To all the lawyers who graduated into recessions, do you have any career advice to share? 

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, TooYoung said:

So that's most of my stress lol. I'm most interested in corporate/transactional. 

Insolvency and restructuring are corporate and transactional. There will be plenty of distressed M&A. Secured lending will be interesting too. 

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Thanks 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

It's been quieter but capital markets deals still happen. You won't see the same spate of IPOs as recently and SPACs/crypto are dead but as things calm down and people price in the new normal, companies will still need money. M&A never really goes anywhere, just changes industries/form/etc. Yeah it won't be the same when debt is free, but there are cash rich companies out there that will want to buy, or companies divesting, etc.

Trying to time the job market isn't really possible, and yeah the early years could be rough but recessions end. It was boom time pre-2008 and 13 years later 2021 was one of the busiest years ever.

TheScientist101
  • Lawyer

IP is also very hot... always it seems. Almost every firm on the street is looking for associates right now. It may slow down a bit during a recession but my understanding is that when a company starts losing tangible assets they really go after the intangible ones. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1