Best university for human rights law?

amandine

amandine
  • Applicant

I see a lot of universities list human rights law on their websites or have some courses in it, but I am wondering if anyone could give me some insights based on experience, faculty profiles, clinics?

So far, I am looking primarily at McGill and Ottawa, but would love to know if there are others.

Thanks!

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

If you're interested in practicing in an area that is closely linked to human rights you should go to a school with a lower debt load. No school is going to blow another out of the water in something amorphous like "human rights law" (criminal law? poverty law? immigration? UN stuff? civil liberties?). But the areas don't pay as well out of school as others, so if you want to practice it long term, set yourself up for success by limiting debt.

U of T is of course heavily geared towards corporate hiring, but it also has DLS, the International Human Rights Clinic, the David Asper Centre for Constitutional Rights has a clinic (I researched issues relating to the G20 protests), Aboriginal Legal Services, the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic which assists women survivors of violence, etc.

So broadly the point is you can learn/practice/experience human rights law anywhere. But if you want to dedicate your life to it, keep your debt low, since the chances of ending up in jobs that do accrue to U of T students at fairly good rates (e.g. positions with the UN) are still low and you take on massive debt to get there, if not funded for you.

• Like 2

amandine
  • Applicant
9 hours ago, Rashabon said:

If you're interested in practicing in an area that is closely linked to human rights you should go to a school with a lower debt load. No school is going to blow another out of the water in something amorphous like "human rights law" (criminal law? poverty law? immigration? UN stuff? civil liberties?). But the areas don't pay as well out of school as others, so if you want to practice it long term, set yourself up for success by limiting debt.

U of T is of course heavily geared towards corporate hiring, but it also has DLS, the International Human Rights Clinic, the David Asper Centre for Constitutional Rights has a clinic (I researched issues relating to the G20 protests), Aboriginal Legal Services, the Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic which assists women survivors of violence, etc.

So broadly the point is you can learn/practice/experience human rights law anywhere. But if you want to dedicate your life to it, keep your debt low, since the chances of ending up in jobs that do accrue to U of T students at fairly good rates (e.g. positions with the UN) are still low and you take on massive debt to get there, if not funded for you.

This makes so much sense, and makes me feel very relieved. I keep hearing universities like Osgoode are the place to be for some of the fields I am interested in, but in my mind I can't justify paying 25k in tuition AND Toronto rent. I'll take a better look at clinics and try to narrow down what I mean by human rights law.

15 hours ago, CleanHands said:

UBC has an International Justice and Human Rights Clinic: https://allard.ubc.ca/community-clinics/international-justice-and-human-rights-clinic

I did not participate in this so I can't speak to it firsthand though.

Thanks for the insight! I'll take a look

Whist
  • Law Student

I'm also not sure how narrowly you're meaning to define human rights. Most law schools will have their own variations on clinics to help low-income people in the community, some might have more options than others. If you want to wind up at the UN or something, I'll defer to Rashabon's advice. 

If it at least helps you compare, UofA has: the Human Rights Clinic (helps with claims to the Human Rights Commission/Tribunal); the Trans ID clinic (help trans people change their documentation); the Immigration clinic (help victims of human trafficking get temporary residency) although not sure it's running right now; a poverty law for-credit clinic with Legal Aid among other orgs; the Criminal Law clinic (help people who can't afford a lawyer/can't get Legal Aid - great for getting to step foot in court ASAP); a Mental Health law internship; an Innocence Canada course/clinic (similar to the Innocence Project); the Alberta Law Reform Institute; the Wahkohtowin Law and Governance Lodge; several courses on Indigenous law/advocacy; and a few courses on Canadian or international human rights. 

• Like 2