How much do outside labour lawyers make 5 years in (boutique)

GoBigOrGoHome

GoBigOrGoHome
  • Law Student

I’m wondering how much labour lawyers make after about five years of practice at boutique firms. I’m thinking of west coast firms like Roper Greyell and Hastings Labour Law. 

I imagine it will be less on the union side, but how much less. 

Anything else about labour law that people should know? (I think someone on the old forum posted a story about having to sleep on a factory floor for some reason). 

Turtles
  • Law Student
15 hours ago, GoBigOrGoHome said:

I think someone on the old forum posted a story about having to sleep on a factory floor for some reason

15 hours ago, Jaggers said:

That was me!

The better question is... what made you go from labour law to colonizing Mars and buying Twitter?

On 11/14/2022 at 10:11 AM, Turtles said:

The better question is... what made you go from labour law to colonizing Mars and buying Twitter?

Elon is whatever the opposite of an employment lawyer is.

• 2 months later...
Lethal Weapon 7
  • Lawyer
On 11/13/2022 at 4:28 PM, GoBigOrGoHome said:

I’m wondering how much labour lawyers make after about five years of practice at boutique firms. I’m thinking of west coast firms like Roper Greyell and Hastings Labour Law. 

I imagine it will be less on the union side, but how much less. 

Anything else about labour law that people should know? (I think someone on the old forum posted a story about having to sleep on a factory floor for some reason). 

5 years in at a West Coast labour firm will depend a bit, but here are the recent salary figures circulated via CALL job postings:

• Victory Square, 4 years minimum experience, $121k or more.  Also posted for range of $115 - 140 for "senior associate"
  • Black Gropper, $85 - $145, no experience specified.
  • Moore Edgar Lyster $100 - $150, no experience specified.
  • Koskie Gavin Gordon $100 base for 3+ years, $120 base for 8+ years plus claim of upwards of $150k plus and $200k plus with incentives
  • Allevato Quail & Roy $125 for "mid-level" associate, plus defined benefit pension matching (7-9%)

I think that's the full 2022-23 postings on CALL, but omitting some postings for newish calls, and the many in-house jobs that have been posted (100-125k is a normal range).  I may have missed some disclosed info on benefits and bonuses.  

I don't have the equivalent for the Employer side firms such as Roper, Harris, or GLGZ.  Informally I have slightly higher figures, but not big law higher unless you stray from the boutiques to the big law firms that practice on the West Coast, i.e., firms such as McCarthys.

edit: typo

Edited by Lethal Weapon 7
  • Like 1